Ericson resale prices

DavidWms

Member II
I'm seriously considering a 1979 E25+ and a 1980 E30+. I've read all the reviews. Both of these boats are attractively priced under NADA low retail. But if I buy it, one day I will sell it. I'm wondering about why Ericson's don't seem to hold their price as well as other boats. The E30 is priced well below a comparable aged Catalina 30. Assuming there is no major flaw with the E30, why is that? Do you think it's more because E is out of business or is the design not holding up? Yes, they look a little tubby but provide lots of room while still sailing well in light winds.

DavidWms

Member II
If this should go under buying and selling, please feel free to move it.

Just realized this may be more approrpirate under the buying and seling banner. Moderator, feel free to move it if you think best.

Sven

Seglare
Just realized this may be more approrpirate under the buying and seling banner. Moderator, feel free to move it if you think best.

I actually thought it was OK where it was but moved it per your request.

I didn't realize that the Catalinas of the same vintage had held their prices better. I'm actually surprised but am not disagreeing with you.

BTW, welcome to the forum !

-Sven

CSMcKillip

My thoughts are that NADA gives a value to the boat, but its up to the owner to make or break this price. Most values are low, and are adjusted do to market values, you could have a boat tgat needs a ton of work and tge seller assumes that the fair value of the boat is what NADA suggest, where a boat that is up to par takes a big hit due to lower numbers.

I have owned a Catalina, i have owned an Ericson, the build quality and workmanship between the two boats in my eyes are non comparable. The Catalinas I think have a higher value due to the fact that thousands of the 30 were made, the only production boat with higher numbers I think is tge Catalina 22.

If you survey the boat you are buying, follow the survey and upgrade recomdations, and keep the boat current, any boat should hold its value. The funny thing is that you can buy a cheap sailboat, fix her up, and enjoy...

Another note; a new suite of sails can be alot more than the cost of the boat. Our 33 with all new sails would be 2500-3000 for the main, 2700 for a 150, 2200 for a 130, 2000 for a 100, and 2200 for the spinnaker. In the last year we have spent over 10,000 in getting her back into shape, thats just the floor, bottom job, running rigging, and new a/c system. We have another 2700 in new cushions, and we still need to fix and update some stuff. Also for tge boat to sit in the water is 250 per month, 400 to haul out in tge winter time...

The boat cost is nothing........:egrin:

DavidWms

Member II
One example

Chris, good points. I looked at a Cal 2-25 locally that is beautifully maintained and asking price is $17,000, while a strikingly similar same year Cal 2-25 sold for $4,000 in Chicago. (Would have bought it but couldnt get there quick enough.) I understand the question oversimplifies the equation and that one low price does not set a trend. Just did a quick check on NADA and low retail for 84 C30 is $1800 HIGHER than same make E30. I would guess that the sheer numbers and owner group support do boost Cs, even though every one I've heard express his opinion state that Ericson's quality is superior to Cats. Somewhat like Wal-Mart, they've pushed the slogan "Always low prices" that many people shop there believing it's always less expensive without checking. And it probably is if you average out entire shopping cart. But I've seen items priced lower at other stores many times. Similarly, belief that Catalina is "most boat for the money" makes many buyers think its the safe choice both as value and as resale.

DavidWms

Member II
More than spit and polish

M. In the last year we have spent over 10,000 in getting her back into shape, thats just the floor, bottom job, running rigging, and new a/c system. We have another 2700 in new cushions, and we still need to fix and update some stuff. Also for tge boat to sit in the water is 250 per month, 400 to haul out in tge winter time...

The boat cost is nothing........:egrin:
Took a gander at your blog. Mighty impressive. Will look forward to updates. And, BTW, what is the price of your improvements if you value your time at, say, minimum wage, much less skilled labor?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of folks consider the NADA values for sailboats to be worse than worthless.
Their data tracking works best for vehicles with 100's thousands of identical models being tracked.
There are quite a few power boats with big (by boat sales standards) production numbers, and a lot less sail boats with enough individual model sales to be statistically significant. For boats with less than, say, 1000 examples of a given model out there... not much value to the "data" at all.
Note that even a major sailboat builder might take a decade to produce that many boats of one successful model run, with constant changes/upgrades along the way.

Better to have a broker look at the "sold boats" real time database that they have access to.

DynamicDave

Member I
'A Little Tubby' an Ericson?

Think if you compare any Ericson to any Catalina, you'll find that the C boat is a little tubby! You'll seldom find C boat owners complain about finding parts, but an Ericson owner utilizes what's available on todays market, applies mechanical knowledge, info included on this site, and, like a master at his craft, works these together to achieve the results he seeks. Usually for big$ less than the C boat owner. You'll find few C boat owners with the ability, knowledge, and inclination to do much more than change the oil in the engine or add a sail or two. Perhaps their wives will make nice fuzzy headseat covers, and replace the pillows in the v berth. I'll take a fully depreciated, well maintained Ericson, over a ten year newer Catalina any day, and still win the race! But I really enjoy getting my hands dirty! Yes, I am weird. 76 E32 (almost worthless) but not to me!