Ericson logo from an old sail

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Happy New Year to all.

Back in the 90s I bought Xanthus, an E-34, and over the course of twenty 25 years went through some main sails but never thought to preserve a sail logo. I'm now in an assisted living facility and need to provide more decoration for my apartment door. I would really like to add an Ericson logo to the Columbia logo I have now from my previous boat.

If anyone has such a logo I would really appreciate such a donation. Of course, an E-34 logo would be most welcome but I would be happy with any Ericson logo. I would definitely pay for any shipping costs.

Please send me a private message is you have a sail logo. Thanx.

Sail emblem.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wish I had more to suggest, but all I have is a Long shot idea. Perhaps someone here is having their old Ericson main recut into tote bags and duffels this spring.
I had our old dacron main and old genoa recycled that way last year by a local canvas shop the solicits used sails. I got several bags with parts of my sail emblem & parts of our numbers on them and the shop got two large sails to make into duffels and sell. It's a side business to their everyday sewing business.
A win-win exchange for me at its best. :egrin:

If someone is planning to give away their old main this way, perhaps the section with the logo could be cut out and sent to you.

The shop is local and the owner is a sailor, but I have no idea how the shipping cost would be figured out, as I drove my sails over to him and picked up the bags in person. If anyone wants a 'net link I have one for him. His shop is in Portland.

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Tom,
Do you specifically want a cutout from a sail, or would the logo printed out be acceptable. It would be easy enough to have one printed on good paper. In lieu of an old sail, it would be possible to get a vinyl sticker made and apply that to some old (or new) sailcloth. One advantage of this would be that it could be made any size you want. Is the 'official' logo the helmet with 34 underneath?
Cheers, Jeff

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...and/or, I have a friend who is a sailmaker, and I know he has the Ericson logo. Might even have the E-34 bits. If you want, I could call him up and see if he'll put a logo on a remnant of sailcloth and make a banner of out it. Or something.

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
I think you want the logo on sailcloth, which unfortunately I don;t have (separate from my main :), but the logos are on the Resources page here if that is any use to you:
There is also E35 line art under Resources (if you want to make a coffee mug or frame that. And sorry... I too have an E34 hull/rig, but there is no art. The E35 must have had more sales volume).

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Thanx guys. Since no one seems to have an old sail hanging around I think I'll go to Plan B.

Plan B involves going to my son who abandoned Ericson for a Tartan. He owes me a birthday present later this month and has bought a suit of sails recently. Hopefully he maintains a good relationship with the sailmaker and can get one made on old sailcloth for a reasonable fee.

1704819984376.png