Ericson 38 vs Westsail 32 for circumnavigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Stevens

Hmmmm

Are you a troll......

It's not about the boat. It is about the crew. People have circumnavigated in 17 foot decked over canoes.. People have failed to circumnavigate in 100+ foot gold plated "bluewater cruising boats".

Personally having sailed both I would take the Ericson over the westsail... With reasons to many to iterate here.

Guy
:)

PDX

Member III
Here is a thread started by an E38 owner summarizing his impressions of his E38's performance on a cruise from the PNW down to Mexico:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8548

I don't know if anyone on this board has owned a Westsail. From what I have heard, they are stout, directionally stable, and much slower than any Ericson. Avoid lee shores. For Westsail money, I would get a Cascade 36. An excellent off shore sailer (way better sailer than the Cascade 29 you've been sailing) with build quality every bit as good as a Westsail.

Guy Stevens

It seems you have a already made up your mind

It seems you have a already made up your mind and that you are looking to start some kind of argument here. Sailing Anarchy is a much better site for arguments, it seems to be all they do over there.. This site isn't like that.....

This site is about learning, and passing on learning, supporting each other, and taking care of each other... Come to think of it, most Ericson owners are just that kind of people.......

It seemed to me that you started with an inflammatory post to a group of people that would seem to definitely hold a position opposite to the one you put forward. It seems pretty troll like to me. Then you do not make any statements that actually ask questions. "Any opinions other than mine out there"?; seems to be saying go ahead and take a swing at me.

So if you have any interest in the subject I would recommend a little research here on this site.

I am happy to get you started. Welcome to the Ericson Yacht Website!

The exact same question you just asked:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3906&referrerid=28

Another is x a blue water boat question....

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5251&highlight=why+is+an+ericson+-a

A much better question would be in my opinion is are you ready to be a blue water sailor?

What is your skill level sailing? How mechanical are you? How self sufficient have you been in the past? Are you going alone or with a family?

Asking about the boat is like asking what instrument brand did Mozart play.... I have to have that one so that I can write great works like he did.

The boat is only a vehicle to a journey. Most boats will take you completely around the world. If you want to argue with people about what boat to get to go sailing in, then you are delaying going. Generally if you want to compare two totally different boats, and can't figure out which one does what you want, then you are creating an argument and confusion in yourself to avoid tackling your own fear.

Spend the energy on learning to sail if you don't know how to already. Spend the energy working through your own fear, and learning to trust yourself.

Then once you know yourself just a little bit........ Just get a boat, take it apart, put it back together, and go cruising........

Last edited:

juneausailin

Member II
Cool

Thanks for the info, will take a look... was just looking for opinions on E-38's for bluewater work... have done a fair amount of research but had wanted to hear from some E38 owners about their own experiences and especially in arenas such as righting ability... Westsail was the best comparison/contrast I could think of for this purpose..

Best,
David

Here is a thread started by an E38 owner summarizing his impressions of his E38's performance on a cruise from the PNW down to Mexico:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8548

I don't know if anyone on this board has owned a Westsail. From what I have heard, they are stout, directionally stable, and much slower than any Ericson. Avoid lee shores. For Westsail money, I would get a Cascade 36. An excellent off shore sailer (way better sailer than the Cascade 29 you've been sailing) with build quality every bit as good as a Westsail.

CSMcKillip

Please re-read my original post.

I read the post, and it seems to me that you made your mind up before writing the question to our fourm. If you are looking for information from E38 owners why even bring up the wet snail winning? I think that Guy was saying that it doesn't matter about the righting moment of the boat, its all about how you prepare the craft and the abilitys you have as a sailor.

Anything can happen out there, and it will...

Last edited:

Emerald

Everyone - please take a deep breath here

Hey guys,

I think this thread got off to a bad start and has done nothing but go down hill. It is not helpful to start replies with name calling and it's not fair to presuppose the motives behind a new member asking for input on rather different designs which are both known for being blue water capable. Let's focus on being helpful here and not condescending. It would be of greater benefit to us all.

Thank you.

juneausailin

Member II
agreed

Thanks David, agreed.. no offense was intended.. just perhaps poorly worded to start off with or something..

Anyhow, I do have one question specific to Ericsons... there are two models of E38s right? One has a taller mast and deeper keel correct? I have been eyeing two E38's as of late...

Best,
David

PDX

Member III
The Ericson 381 has a shorter mast than the Ericson 38. I believe the 381's sail area is in the mid 600 square foot range while that of the E38 is in the low 700s.

As far as keels, the E38 had both deep and shoal keel options. I'm not sure about the 381.

Pacific Seacraft ultimately acquired Ericson and made some changes that may be beneficial to offshore sailing--different portlights, less interior teak, more tankage. I don't know which sail plan was used.

The resources section of this website has a lot of info (manuals, etc.) on Ericson 38s that you might want to check out.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Easy there....

Ok, ok - so now I'm hearing about this thread from other users....so please...

Let's all play nice...in the 50k+ posts on this site, this one is not typical (so my apologies to everyone involved - including new readers)... The wine is in the lower cabinet...so....you know...

Back to the discussion.... :egrin:

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Posts and changes to posts...

Having the moderator's ability to compare the original and changed post that launched this thread, I appreciate that the author "de-attituded" (oops, just invented a verb) his post.
:egrin:
Having learned, after way too many decades, to sometimes be careful in just how I come across to strangers I appreciate the less confronting tone. Thanks!
:cool:

Unfortunately, this leaves the subsequent replies sort of hanging out there, seeming to respond a little too strongly to too little provocation, sorta kinda. :confused:

Mostly I'm just glad that everyone on this board tries to be courteous and helpful, and that sometimes we all have to take a pause and reword our thoughts, remembering that raw text does not contain any of the nuances of in-person exchanges. Adding what seem like appropriate "smilies" helps, for sure, but it never achieves the real communication result that an in-person conversation can have. Even in a phone call you can pick up cues to how your question or statement is being perceived from the changes in tone and pace of the other person's words.

Powerful as the 'net can be, it brings new problems to accompany the fast new solutions to human interaction!
:rolleyes:

Best to all of you this cloudy morning!
I have another delivery scheduled in about a week, and will get to spend four hours at a time discussing the state of the world, one on one, with a fellow watch-stander.
Nuance indeed! :rolleyes_d:

Regards,
Loren

CSMcKillip

Ok, so this is the third morning of reading emails on this topic, I do not own a E38, or a westsail 32 so my comments should be taken with a grain of salt. I did read the very first post before Guy' s reply and still feel it was a slam to the E38. I also read what Guy posted and still agree that its all up to the sailor, not the boat or design. I am sure there are several excellent designs out there for just this.

If I have been in anyway out of line, please except my apologies.:egrin:

Respectfully,

bayhoss

Member III
Of this we can be certain

We are all people. We can all say and do things that we simply do not mean. We can be misunderstood. Anyone who has done it will remember it and maybe be the better for it. Anyone who has not, probably has it in their future. I am a first rate example of someone who in frustration put out a post that hit the top of the absurd-o-meter. This forum is a large family that offers to help each other all the time. And, like any large family we have all the other things that influence our feelings. And, once in a while we forget and chew with our mouths open.

Best always,
Frank

Last edited:

Emerald

back to the offshore question that started this all

Thinking of the original question of the two very different boats of an E38 and a Westsail 32 for offshore cruising, what about putting an Independence 31 in the mix? Of course, I'm biased on the E31, but it is a nice sailing and capable boat with a lot of the classic look and feel of the Westsail but what I think of as more of the Ericson sailing performance. I'd love to get out on someone's Cruising 36, but the problem is I might not leave until I own it (you know, 5 footitis :egrin:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What is the 5 foot-itis you speak of?

Is it a new disease? Should I be alarmed?

You should be very alarmed. We owned our previous 26' boat for ten years... and since no vaccine could be found in time we were compelled to buy a 34 footer. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, we did skip several money-losing intermediate steps! By waiting, we could lose all our remaining money at once! ;)

Or as the "Borg" put it: Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

LB

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
What is the 5 footitist you speak of?

Is it a new disease? Should I be alarmed?

Ha! Not to hijack the thread but I went from a 22ft Catalina to my E381. That is "Sixteen footitis" Unfortunately, left uncured, this disease my result in the purchase of a 54 footer in the future....... Yeah, thats the ticket!

RT

rgscpat

horses for courses

Given that different boats are good at different things, the original suggestion of comparing two vastly different boats might have bothered some people given that this is not a generic boat comparison or generic circumnavigation site.

And I'm trying to fend off an attack of eight-foot-it-is -- always more perilous than the ordinary two-foot variety.

Perhaps the original poster would be interested in asking himself questions about what sort of boat fits his personality and cruising style. That is, "If bad weather threatens, do I want to run away from it before it hits or batten down the hatches and let the boat absorb the blow?" or "Does it matter to me how long it takes to cross an ocean?"

Status
Not open for further replies.