ericson 38 forward thru hulls

e38 owner

Member III
I am getting some leakeage in one of the forward thru hulls under the head sink. I am planning on replacing all three since this is the second one that has leaked.

They do not have a flange as is the current practice. Has anyone undertaken this task specifically.

Will through hulls with a flange fit.?
Should I replace with plastic or brass?
What is the best way to get the old ones out including the smaller one?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Old Topic, but always Fresh and Good!

See the "Search" icon, upper right? Do a search on Forespar and Valve.
Much experience, reports, and commentary from our members.
:)
Then click over to the Owners and Projects part of this site, then to Owners Projects, then to the thru hull replacement story with a picture, for our Olson 34.
As you will see after doing some looking and reading, bronze=good, Marlon=good. Flange mounting to hull on a backing plate = "proper."

Having replaced all the factory Marlon ball valves that Ericson installed on the threaded (Marlon) thru hulls, I would tell anyone to change to a flange type of valve to gain a lot of strength. You sleep better at night. Lots better.
:D
I note that you used the word "brass." Please do not use this metal below the waterline or anywhere in salt water.... Your insurer and surveyor will tell you why. :rolleyes:

We replaced all of our thru hulls and valves during one haulout for a bottom painting, to save money by combining projects.
In addition to peace of mind, you are adding fundamental value to your boat.

Best,
Loren in PDX