Ericson 35'-Can I solo it? Stability??

Laney

I am looking at buying a sailboat. I would consider myself a beginner but moving past this stage quickly. I have a slip reserved for a 35' so I want to go at least that big. My plan is to sail around the Charleston Harbor for a year or more. Perhaps little trips up and down the right coast and then Bahamas bound in 1 -1/2 or 2 years depending on my skill, knowledge of the waters and the workings of my vesel at that time. SO I do not want to start small, dump money and then regret not upgrading to a bigger boat in the first place.
I do want a boat I can handle on my own. I want good stability. Not a full keel,but almost. 4-5 foot draft. So far the layout and the price that seems to work the best for me is the Ericson 35'-1.
(A gal loves the shower thang:) Among many other features I love.
My question how is this boat in rough seas? Stability is related to what type of hull and beam size, correct? Can a gal in her 30 something handle this 35 footer? My opinon will be yes. I know I can.
Really the main question is stability? I do not even know what kind of keel this has. there is one for sale on yachtworld that I am in love with and thinking of making a purchase soon. Thanks for any advice from any old salts out there.:)
- Laney/ Charleston, SC

Bomr

Member I
Ericson 35

I am not exactly an "old salt", but I recently purchased an Ericson 35 and I am a relatively new sailor. You should be able to single hand the boat. I can do everything except raise and lower the main sail from the cockpit, but that could be rigged too.
As for weather, I have not been out in anything serious, but the boat has a fairly narrow beam (10.5 feet) and is a bit tender. I was out last week in 15-20 knots and almost buried the rail a couple times. The only thing I had trouble with was moving the traveler, while steering the boat while it was heeled 25-30 degrees. With my minimal experience, I probably wouldn't want to be out in anything really heavy by myself in this boat.
There are several people in my harbor that own, or have owned these boats. They all tell me the boat can handle much heavier weather, but it is easy to get the rail in the water if you like it exciting. I sailed a Catalina 30 several times last year and it sailed much flatter than the Ericson. The Ericson is a better sailing boat, but definitely moves around a bit.
My boat has a 5.5 foot keel.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mindscape

Member III
Single handing

Search on this site for info on single handing and you'll find a bunch of good info from people that have been single handing. It all gets way easier with an auto pilot.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'd definitely say that what you're hoping to do is possible. You can handle any sized boat under 50 feet or so, if it's set up right, and you're properly trained/experienced.

None of the Ericsons have what I would call an "almost" full keel. In general they seem to be moderate boats in terms of speed and weight. They're fast on the race course, but heavy enough to be fairly manageable in a blow. They're not what people would traditionally call offshore cruising boats, but (some would say) tradition is changing in that regard. People are tending to cruise in lighter boats, and leaning a bit more towards speed versus weight and seakindliness.

Do you have people you can sail with around you? Is there a group around you that hooks up boat owners with crew? (like Boston's Pelagic Sailing Club). I would recommend that you sail as many boats as possible, with the best sailors you can find. You'll learn a lot about what you like about different sizes and types of boats, and more importantly, you'll learn about sailing those boats much faster than if you're sailing on your own, and figuring it out as you go. The best thing I ever did as a sailor, was spent the first 5 years of my cruising-sailboat-sailing years going on trips with other experienced sailors. Even once you really know what you are doing, it's very educational to share your experiences and techniques with those of others, and see how they would do things differently.

Anyways, that's my speech. Good luck on your journey! Sounds like fun, and very doable if you're dedicated to spending plenty of time gaining experience before you set out for distant shores.

Nate

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mk 1

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5058&referrerid=28

This thread might interest you. I found it by putting "single handing" into the Search dialog box.

Your post references the 60's E-35-1. The Mk 3 version (totally different boat, early / mid 80's) has a separate shower stall, but I do not recall the Ericson 35 Mk1 or the Mk 2 having this feature.

Enjoy,
Loren

(often single-handing our O-34 since '94, our previous Niagara 26 for a decade, and before that our Ranger 20 for five years)

Last edited:

Gil Aiken

Singlehanding an E35 MKII

Laney, I own a '74 E35 MK II that has been in my family since it came of the assembly line. Basically, I grew up on this boat, and have had many adventures both as crew and skipper. Now, I mostly single hand this boat. Some of my best sailing experineces have been solo excursions. It is difficult to describe, but the sense of self-sufficency and solitude of single handed sailing is very satisfying...With preparation and experience you can do it.

There are many good suggestions on this and other threads so I won't repeat them here. The purpose of this reply is one of encouragement. Some of your best sailing memories will come from singlehanded sailing.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Understand what you are getting yourself into. Owning a fairly substantial boat like a E35 will take a serious commitment. If you don't have much money, then you will spend a lot of time doing whats required to maintain, upgrade, etc. If you have more money than time then you will spend plenty of it paying others to do the work for you. This is an expensive lifestyle any way you look at it. The reason I suggest this is it would be a shame for you to purchase more boat than you are prepared to deal with. If this happens then you will not be happy, the boat will end up in disrepair and the whole sailing thing may leave a bad taste in your mouth. If you have any doubt then consider something smaller to start with.

That said, if you really, really, really want this and have for a while, then go for it! If you can sail a dinghy then you can sail almost any boat. The theory is all the same. You just have to practice and pay attention to the details and differences. Get as much experience as you can and hang around/sail with experienced sailors. If its really in your blood you will progress quickly. Good luck! RT

chaco

Member III
SingleHanding

I have been Sailing since a wee lad on SF Bay in the 50's.
The E35II and most any Sailboat under 50' can be Rigged for SingleHanded
Sailing. I do not suggest ANYONE getting in to the Mid Size (30'-50') boats
to Start or even plan on SingleHanding as your Primary Sailing Strategy.
SingleHanding is for EMERGENCIES and getting tired of not having Crew
to go out with. Sailing Mid Size Boats is like Scuba Diving, don't do it alone
for Safety Reasons. As you want to SingleHand....get an 18' DaySailer and
Sail close enough to shore to swim to land when you Dump er'.
Sailing these big boats is a Partner Thing, whatever way you slice it :nerd:

Good Luck :egrin: :egrin:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Singlehanding an E35 MKII

Hi Laney,

I really liked Gil's comments. They fit for me.

My wife and I have owned our 88 38-200 since it was new. My wife is a very good sport about sailing with me, but there are times that she can't make it and there are other times that I choose to sail alone. I get a very positive return out of sailing solo.
We sail on Lake Superior and I have sailed all over the lake alone, often on passages that take a few days. A number of years ago I took the summer off and sailed the lake alone.

I think an autopilot is a key piece of equipment. It's simplifies the entire process, from stowing the dock lines and fenders, putting up the sails, reefing, cooking, etc.

In our area Radar is also very important. Our Radar display is mounted at our Nav station. We also have an autopilot remote control mounted at the Nav station.

Safety equipment is also key. A harness with a tether clipped to a jack line, to insure that you don't fall far from the boat, for example.

As far as boat size for single handing, I think generally the only time this would actually come into play is while docking. I think larger boats, up to a certain size, are actually more stable, less affected by windage and generally easier to handle. This of course assumes that you're not in extremely tight quarters.

I enjoy working on our boat. I have joked that I think I enjoy working on it almost as much as I do sailing it. I find it very relaxing, when my hands are busy and my mind is focused on what my hands are doing there is no room for any other thoughts (work, etc.). I find that when there's a new task to be performed that planning and research often take more time than the actual task.

Best of luck, I really like Ericsons. I wouldn’t have any second thoughts about single handing the boat you are considering. People have single handed boats around the world.
It will take some practice, but it sounds like you are willing to do what it takes.

Enjoy,
Bob

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Gray Area

Being a long time "scuba diver & climber" I have to concur with the "safety in numbers" philosophy only to a point. Sailing w/ others can present its own "dangers". Inexperienced people on any type of boat can often be a severe liability, I know all too well!!!!

Some of my "best" memories of sailing my E23 involve "solo" sails in "extreme conditions"(and many not extreme)

I come from a racing backround, sailing "evilly" overpowered "28' racing scows". Flying chutes in 30mph winds @ 25mph tends to "hone" your skills and coordination. "Safe" solo sailing involves years of experience and the knowledge of your boat & safety equipment. It should not be entered into "lightly".

There has been a veritable "explosion" in the popularity of "extreme solo sports"(climbing for one) that on numerous occasions "tax" the resources of those hired to "protect/save" us. Quite often there is a blatant disregard for the "safety" of those involved in a rescue, powerboaters & sailors being "high" on the list.
You need to know how to "help" yourself, rather than just "calling" for HELP!

That being said, what would the sailing world be like w/o the likes of Sir Francis Chichester?

Perhaps you would consider having one of us "old salts"--- "sign on"?

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My wife and I "single hand" ours all the time. One of us will stand by while the other does all the work. This way we learn how to single hand in case it is ever needed.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I sail on the Great Lakes and they are known for quickly changing weather.
I would spend what ever $ is necessary for a top rate autopilot and safety equipment.
I would suggest having experienced people with you and when you gain experience (larger boats can hurt you), still have an experienced person sail with you but have that person stay silent and out of the way unless an emergency arises. Remember to reef early !!!:)

Gary Peterson
Ericson 381 QUIXOTIC

:egrin:

Laney,
A few days back I wrote you a long reply, full of personal experiences and the like, but I hit the wrong key on my computer and lost what I had written. Didn't have the energy to go back and do it all again. The most recent post from a skipper on the Great Lakes is short and to the point. Autopilots are a godsend. I have two. A fancy GPS--I am just acquiring a Garmin GPSMAP 478--to back up the hard-wired GPS already on board is a good idea because it will download weather information from satellites. Get a bit salty before you test your skills against changing weather and sea conditions by sailing solo. Most of all, know when to quit. I write about sailing for a living, and it has been my experience that the people I have written about that died were the ones whose skill sets were not compatible with their inflated ambitions. Women don't seem to have the same problems as men, because I think they are more analytical in the truest sense of the word.
Good luck. Enjoy what you do to the utmost by taking bites of sailing in small increments. It is a great avocation and Ericsons are marvelous boats. Those of us who have made the Ericson decision feel somewhat blessed. I have had my boat (same boat) for 31 years.
Morgan Stinemetz

Steve

Member III
No problem -even backing down into slip

We run our 35-3 alone often. This includes backing into our slip in various crosswinds and currents. Like anything else you do in life, practice makes perfect. Staying calm, alert, pre-planning and using common sense goes along way when you and your equipment is at stack. I can't find a single reason, unless one is disabled in someway, why this type boat can't be handled alone satisfactory with much satisfaction.

Steve e35-3 #159

jkm

Member III
Laney

All good advice from some very experienced sailors.

I'm an average sailor and I single hand my 35 all the time. It is not set up as well as I'd like but my boat bucks are limited. I spend too much money on my other habits, fly fishing in Wyoming, scuba diving in Hawai'i and my old cars.

The 35 is a great looking sail boat with beautiful lines, it has shown itself NOT to be money pit. It has an old Atomic 4 motor that I'd never change out. I'll rebuild it before I'd spend 12K for a diesel. I wish I had a 38, but the 35 is fine for the four day trips to Catalina I try to take once a month, sometimes alone, but usually with others. Her most important features is my hand held GPS and auto pilot.

I think a 35 is a great boat, though I would say the best boat I've every owned for single handling was a Catalina 27.

Have fun

John

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
yes?

Hi Laney,

It sounds like you have a plan to learn what you are doing as you go. I agree with your plan. I also agree with you on buying the right sized boat to start with. That is just what I did.
Twenty-four years ago I started sail boarding or wind surfing as it’s commonly referred to. I fell in love with it and sailing. That was my first exposure to sailing. Within a few years I decided that I wanted to get a sailboat to live on and learn how to sail. In late 1989 I bought Sail a Vie my Ericson 35 MkII. I had never sailed a real boat at that time. I had a friend from work who had done some sailing come out with me and my then girlfriend to show us what all those lines did. After that one time we were on our own. We learned everything the hard way and looking back I’m glad that’s how we learned it. I’m not saying I recommend it, I’m just glad that’s how we learned it.

Today I still have that same boat. The girlfriend is now my wife. And I don’t live aboard any more but I really enjoyed the seven years I did. I have crossed the Pacific between San Francisco and Hawaii six times in that boat and five of those times were single-handed. I know many women who have sailed in some cases MUCH bigger boats that distance and further single-handed fly spinnakers and all. In 2000 a women by the name of Anna sailed Hal Roth’s old Santa Cruz 50 in the single-handed trans Pac. She was 44 years old at the time and was first to finish. Gender and to a great degree age have little to do with the boat you can single hand.

I totally disagree that single-handing is for emergencies and short days sails in protected waters. Single-handed sailing makes you think about every step you must take to do everything onboard. Everything. It makes you develop ways to deal with things while depending on your preparation, planning, and equipment your boat and your self.
You think more about safety, more about traffic, more about weather and more about everything else because it all has a bigger impact on YOU than if you were not alone.
Single handed sailing makes you a better sailor and it can be done safely.

You are looking at a MKI That as I know it is the Alberg 35 design. While I don’t know that much about that design I would say it may be more stable and track in a straighter line than my MKII. I’m sure that boat if it was in good shape the MK I could make it around the world.

I agree with the fellow who said it’s a commitment. You will either be spending a lot of time working on her or spending lots of money or like in my case, both. That’s the price you’re going to pay. Of course, “lot’s of money” is relative. I’m poor. I would probably be rich by now but I bought a boat when I was young and have been poor ever since. But I wouldn’t change a thing.

I also agree that if you are going to single hand you will need some type of self-steering device. The first time I sailed to Mexico and back and then to Hawaii and back all I had was a wind vane. Wind vanes are great and if I could only have one self-steering device it would be a wind vane. Today I have four self steering devices, the wind vane, a small tiller pilot that drives the wind vane on a compass course rather than wind direction, a tiller pilot big enough to drive the boat and a very robust under deck auto pilot.

So, Can you single hand that boat? I don’t know, can you? It’s up to you to decide but I can tell you that people of all ages and genders are sailing all over the world single or short-handed. There are blind people and other severely handicapped people sailing all over too.
The best way to learn is to go do it.

Good luck to you.

Phil

Last edited:

Akavishon

Member III
nice

Phil, that's a very inspiring point of view - I appreciate the can-do attitude! I too would be single-handing much more if I had a mooring instead of a slip with daily cross-wind :|

One comment only - I'm not sure if there are truly blind people sailing all over, but it does seem like some power captains are a bit vision challenged.

Zoran

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hey Zoran,

you are right about the power boaters, that's funny.

I think it was in 1984 single handed trans pac a fellow who was legally blind completed the race with the help of audio equipment. More recently I remember a legaly blind couple leaving the Bay area on a round the world sail. As far as I know it's going well.
And SF Bay has B.A.D.S. Bay Area Disabled Sailors. From what I've heard theses folks can sail.

I'm just saying people do amazing things. It's more about the spirit of the person than anythng else.

cheers

Phil

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Phil knows boats

While there are plenty of opinions on the subject, singlehanded sailing is very much a growing sport-There are many new singlehanded long distance races which have been established in the last 10 years-transpacific, transatlantic, around Britian, to name a few-the numbers of boats entering these races now eclipses most crewed distance races-the Mini-Transat (Europe to Brazil), sailed in 6.5 meter racing boats is now underway mwith 89 entries! The Open 60 Class (60 foot full out race boats) has singlehanded events all over the world (including around the world) and is one of the fastest growing classes of racing boats on the water. These racers are all sponsored by major corporations (whose legal folks have determined the risks are reasonable enough to permit their association, by the way). In Europe, especially France and Italy, top singlehanded sailors are held in the same esteem as soccer stars.

There have even been some recent singlehanded ocean crossings by blind sailors (although I admit I am not crazy about that idea), who are aided by sophisticated electronics to help them avoid traffic. Local racing events for blind sailors (assisted by sighted coaches) are now held in every major sailing venue.

The point is that as Phil knows very well, this is no longer a "fringe" activity, and is becoming the most visible and commercially viable form of our sport.

Not that I have an opinion!:egrin:

Cheers,
S

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III

Laney,
Are you wedded to a 35 footer? There are a number of 32s in Charleston right now being offered for sail and I have friends who swear by the E 30+ and the E 34. I have read on the pages of this web site that an E 32 was spotted in the Indian ocean not too long ago. Remember costs go up exponentially with each additional foot in length.

As long as I am preaching moderation you should know that there are amazing flora and fauna in your bilge that thrive on the detritus that comes off of humans when they shower. Keep the bilges moving!

The good news? If you are looking for an Ericson you are in the right neighborhood.

Good luck.
icon7.gif

Lawrence B. Lee
Shaken not Stirred
Savannah, GA

Last edited: