Ericson 32 for sale... thoughts?

JPS27

Member III
This 1986 Ericson 32 is for sale at my marina. I'm interested in checking it out, but realistically I'm not at the edge of the slippery slope quite yet. But who knows. I heard about it word-of-mouth today, and then found an advertisement on the club bulletin board. There is not much information on said advertisement, but the boat has a reputation for being well cared for. I took these pictures today. I looked it up on sailboatdata and it suggests the 32-200 was produced after the 32-300. The 1986 production date suggests this is a 32-300.

Whichever model it is, what are things to know/ask about it? Thanks,

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_4333.jpeg
    IMG_4333.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 115

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Jay, I agree with Marinarius it looks like a 32-3. It’s got a crazy amount of cruising stuff on it! Two wind generators on the solar arch/davits, wind vane, radar…There is some serious investment in the stern of that boat!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of weight and windage added to the stern. And a lot of $$$. Perhaps back from a blue water journey, and now owners are moving on?

Last edited:

JPS27

Member III
Yes. I believe this vessel was cruised extensively in the past. Only in the last two years have I noticed it’s not out nearly as often.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
This 1986 Ericson 32 is for sale at my marina. I'm interested in checking it out, but realistically I'm not at the edge of the slippery slope quite yet. But who knows. I heard about it word-of-mouth today, and then found an advertisement on the club bulletin board. There is not much information on said advertisement, but the boat has a reputation for being well cared for. I took these pictures today. I looked it up on sailboatdata and it suggests the 32-200 was produced after the 32-300. The 1986 production date suggests this is a 32-300.

Whichever model it is, what are things to know/ask about it? Thanks,

Jay
Nice looking boat - as others said, it's well set up for cruising.
What are they asking for it?
If north of about $30K, it's probably in fairly good condition (north of $35, in very good condition, with most things working). If in the $25-30K range, it may be a little worn jn some respects, but well worth the effort of bringing her back up given the huge amount of time and effort (and $$) the owner has invested in adding all the visible cruising features.

JPS27

Member III
Thanks for the replies. I just got off the phone with the owner. It's listed at 26,500 obo. As I said this boat is at my marina/club. I've watched it for years, it's one of those vessels that catches peoples' eye. Some of the issues/items he mentioned are: he set it up with short handed sailing and safety in mind. It handles well and backs up nicely. I've watched him dock stern in numerous times. Compare to my e27 it looks like he has bow thrusters (and a lot more skill). All electronics are upgraded raymarine incl wind display. He did mention that the actuator for the AP is not installed, but also mentioned how good this style of AP works on the boat. Monitor windvane (refurbished by monitor, he got it off another boat). NMEA 2000. Max prop. AC and heat. Invertor. Icom/vhf. epirb. We have agreed to find time soon to go to the boat and take a closer look.

He mentioned that in the last year and a half he hasn't taken the boat out more that a few times, and that lack of use shows and requires some TLC.

windblown

Member III
Agree that it looks like a 32-3, but photos of the interior would confirm. You may be able to read the serial number off the transom (ours is stamped into the gelcoat, starboard side, about 2” below the top edge). The pricing nquigley suggests sounds about right for our area, too. People in the Great Lakes snatch up well-cared for Ericsons; they are too few and far between. Of course, boats that have been in fresh water have some real advantages in terms of corrosion, etc. Maintenance expectations are well documented in posts and blogs on this site; I think you can find excellent information for use about anything a 32-3 might need. Here are some of the ”bigger issues” that you might look for:
1. Standing rigging maybe due/ overdue.
2. Engine hours. The universals seem to run forever, if well maintained. Unfortunately, they also run pretty well when neglected, so there can be sleeper issues. Alternator bracket should have been replaced already, raw water pump may need servicing/rebuild, and heat exchangers clog up.
3. Electrical wiring. After 30+ years, it’s past time to update the ignition panel, remove the dangerous trailer plugs, add the solenoid, and perhaps rewire the DC panel, too.
4. Hoses. Engine/exhaust hoses are just regular maintenance (and should be obvious at survey), but bilge hoses and scupper hoses may be original, and can be a PITA to change.
5. Water heater. If the boat still has the original 6 gallon Raritan heater, it is long past its serviceable life. To remove/replace it, the aluminum casing has to be cut off so it can be pulled out of the starboard lazarette, after the opening there is enlarged and inch or so.
6. Mysterious leaks. If there is evidence of moisture incursion on either side of the deck somewhere between the forward hatch and the first port light, it may be a problem with the Dorade in front of the mast, and there may be core damage.
7. Look for evidence of water damage/repair on the cabin sole, between the engine compartment and the battery compartment. We still haven’t been able to trace where that water comes from.
8. Tanks. Even aluminum diesel tanks seem to develop small rust/cracks/leaks at the lowest corner welds after 30 years, and it’s a real plus if an access port has been added to the tank so you can inspect fuel for cleanliness.
9. Fuel pump and water/fuel separators are a necessity, along with good filters.
10. Original water tanks can leak at connections. Lots of us still have original tanks and original plumbing. We found it was time to replace all the vent hoses for air/water quality.
This may seem like a long list, and some of the issues should be addressed right away for safety, if found to be an issue on this boat. However, none of these are huge expenses, and almost all of the work can be done by an owner with a bit of mechanical sense (and a lot of available time). If needed, most of the above upgrades/modifications will serve the owner well for many years.
When we bought our 32-3 in 2016, it was appraised at $32,500. However, the replacement value was estimated at $267,000.
We always figure that the cost of maintaining our classic 32-3 is a steal in comparison to what buying and maintaining a new $270,000 boat would cost us.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we bought our 32-3 in 2016, it was appraised at $32,500. However, the replacement value was estimated at $267,000.
We always figure that the cost of maintaining our classic 32-3 is a steal in comparison to what buying and maintaining a new $270,000 boat would cost us.
Oh. Yeah. That was a strong factor in our decision to do the re-fit on our '88 boat. There are very few modern "sailboats", and I use the term loosely, that compare with the design, engineering, and construction of your basic 80's Ericson -- and the earlier ones are praiseworthy for the same list of reasons.
We spent about 100K to create a 300K new boat, without buying the new boat that we could never afford.
:egrin:

JPS27

Member III
After weeks out of town, the 32-3 is still for sale. Met owner at boat for 2 hours today. He had an offer with earnest money from an out-of-stater while I was gone, but apparently the fella hadn't checked with his wife or some such thing. I, luckily, brought my spouse today, she stuck around for an hour. Below are notes from today to get your insights and thoughts for possible round-two questions. With my intermediate level (at best) eye, I was quickly struggling to absorb the generous information dump. Appears owner has to leave sailing behind for personal reasons. Very generous with his time. Here are some edited notes from today and pictures. Thanks for your help. Jay

Current owner of boat since about 2001. Good deal of work completed about 8 years ago over two years. He's second owner. First owner in California, relocated to east coast, brought boat with him, then sold when he returned to CA. CO believes it was used as a party boat given low engine hours and the amount of alcohol on boat when he bought it. CO has cruised it all over Chesapeake, 3 Delmarva's. South on ICW/NC. Did not make it to Bahamas as planned.

Some obvious water damage to floor. Forward water damage from shower accordg to CO. CO said the sole was the last of his projects. But not going to get to it. Has rebedded ports, hardware etc. ???> A little water in bilge area, normal? Some moisture at mast base. Is this a problem?

Engine. Engine hour meter says 714 hours (!). Original engine. Owner has many spare parts. Replaced alternator with new Balmar recently and has extra one. Extra starter. two extra injectors, 10-12 primary fuel filters. Extra electric fuel pump.

Standing rigging. Cables replaced 8 yr ago with Dyform cable and norseman swageless fittings.

Running rigging. Owner was in process of replacing lines for running rigging. Has all new lines on board for future install. I saw them.

Portlights/hatches. Can't remember if he said replaced with new or refurb. Some had leaked. Leaks fixed. Does not seem to have water damage. But newer formica where damage would have been. Formica appears to be excellent shape. Smaller portlights open and have screens. Two topside hatches have newer lexan. In process of making new companion way hatches with teak and lexan. Hatches and companion have screens. Windscoops for hatches.

Tankage. Three water tanks. Forward tank is bladder under v berth. Fuel tank, original. No inspection port.

Through Hulls. About 10 years old. I would have liked to see fiberglass backing plates and bolt studs. Did not see forward head through hulls.

Sails. Has main (7yr) and 110 jib in "good" condition,110 gets most use. Also a 130 or 140. Did not inspect sails. Older main "serviceable back up." Has a storm jib to go over furled jib. He suggested it's time to send sails in to get inspected, cleaned, restitiched possibly. New suncover seems in order. Dutchman system. Wichard boom brake. 2 reefing points from within cockpit, and 3rd reef can to put in at mast.

Electrical. He added two additional battery banks. 6 ATM total. New batteries have new wiring. Old batteries wiring is original. Inverter. NMEA 2000 backbone. Raymarine, autopilot, chartplotter, wind, depth/temp/speed. 2 GPS antennae, SSB, VHF, VHF to helm, wind generators, solar.

That arch is welded/integrated into the pushpit.

Other notes.
Dodger, bimini look good. Washed, waterproofed once a year.
AC/Heat pump (not sure age),
Water heater (replaced about 8 years ago)
freezer.
Propane stove/oven
Max prop, self feathering, PYI dripless
Autopilot currently needs actuator installed. (is it new, why not installed?)
Newer lewmar winches.
three sets of ground tackle (two on boat)
West Marine inflatable dinghy (inflatable floor). 4 horsepower mercury.
Nonskid looks to be in good condition and grippy. Original gelcoat.
Bottom. Ablative over barrier coat.

A2015489-0E6D-48C7-8793-E1C2E1D4637E_1_105_c.jpegIMG_4429.jpegIMG_4433.jpegIMG_4435.jpegIMG_4436.jpegIMG_4448.jpegIMG_4456.jpegIMG_4460.jpegIMG_4462.jpegIMG_4458.jpeg