Ericson 32-2 Mast Height?

RickAn

Can anyone tell me the mast height (from step and from water line) of the mast on a 1972 Ericson 32-2. I just bought it and can't find anything telling me the mast height.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
+/- 50' on my E35-3

From what I can tell, my E35-3's mast is about 50' from the step. I believe that the 32's is just a tad (if at all) shorter.

What I did to measure mine (for a new halyard) is go to Home Depot and get one of those measuring tapes (the kind you wind up) for $9.00 - attach it to the halyard, and haul away (make sure you tie a second small line to it also - incase the tape lets loose.

Are you located up in Seattle?

//sse

RickAn

I did the same thing with the tape measure and came us with 40 feet from the step. It was kind of a sloppy process though and I'm looking for a more exact measure; e.g., the manufacturer's specs.

Yes, I'm up in the Seattle area; about 10 miles east of Seattle in Redmond.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mast clearance?

Clearance under bridges/overhead obstructions is often the concern with this question. Be sure to add enough for the Windex, the wind instrument transducer, and the vhf antenna. For instance we need close to 60 feet to feel really secure...
Loren
Olson 34 #8
:)

ps: sometime this fall, we NW owners need to get together... If for no other reason than to admire Sean's holding tank....

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Yes, and a nice one it is too...

Besides, I have my heater out now...so if you guys want to come up for a NW Ericsons event later in the season, you could meet some of the group up here, etc...

We could even do it in the San Juans during the summer if you so inclined.... :cool:

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
How about 46' 4"?

My old copy of "Boat Watch" says that the mast on the 30+ is 46'4" - and I note that the E32 sales brochure holds the "I" sail area measurement at 42' --- add the headroom down below, plus the distance from boom-to-deck.....

Of course, Boat Watch says nothing about height for a 32...

//sse

jeffatoms

The mast height for the E32-2 from the deck is 38 feet

The stock mast height for the E32-2 from the deck is 38 feet, add 4 feet for deck to waterline, a foot for a windex or antenna and two more for safety gets you to 45 feet.