ericson 30 or 29

marto

Member I
I wanted to ask about the sailing caracteristics of the ericson 29 vs the ericson 30.
the ericson 30 was one of the first designs and the 29 the one that follows.
I heard the ericson 30 built from the 60 to around 68 is an sturdy boat with circumnavigations on their logs, a proven boat, and the 29 a coastal that exceed waht it was build or market for.
ok my quest is, if you dont want to motor much, so sail as much as possible you want a boat that points really well, that gets you out of bad places and trouble with out have to motor out. I know the ericson 27 and 29 do that really good, where about the older e30?
thanks for your help.

marto

Member I
I've read that article, it is about an ericson 26.
I just want more specifics on the sailing of the old 1968 ericson 30.
compared with the e29 or 27.
thanks anyway, I have travel the site a bit now. very good info around.
I'm looking to be a new ericson owner.
ericson 30 29 or 27 are in my prospective.
I see the e30 has a different keel more long runing aft and wider and round on the botom taht is bolted to the hull, diferent od the e27 and 29 like a wing taht does not have bolts and is encapsulated in the fiberglass.
this I asume have to impact the pointing abilities, I know offcourse the best wat to point is have the sails well trimed, but the keed give its limitations.
yes I want to do some offshore sailing with out going crazy for now.
thanks

marto

Member I
I read that blog yesterday, it is intresting but it goes more about restoring ,valuable information anyway , well or waht it says is taht the boat is heavy and doesn't point well. at least for the participations in couple races, but mostly on light wind.
I wander. maybe Dick could tell us a bit more himself.
I'll write him to check the tread.

CaptDan

Member III
I read that blog yesterday, it is intresting but it goes more about restoring

Here are my opinions - worth what you pay, as our friend Loren says:

The Ericson 30 really shouldn't be compared to an E29; in many respects they are very different boats. The E30 shares design characteristics with the early 60's CCA vessels - narrow beam, deeper fuller keel, and raised cabin trunk. Bulletproof though they are, the E30s are slower vessels compared to the 'modern' E29.

Is that a bad thing? No - especially considering many CCA boats like Tritons, Ariels and Albergs still ply the blue waters around the globe. But there are downsides - less interior volume per LOA, lower freeboard, and visibility issues created by the high cabin trunk. In many respects, these boats are like the 'classic' woodies - just without the wooden hull.

The E29 might be a more comfortable vessel in all but the most sloppy seas, where the E30 might be more seakindly. But even that comparison is relative.

The questions you have to ask yourself are: where will I be doing most of my sailing? How many crew will I carry and how much storage do I need? If I don't find an E30 in restored condition, am I prepared to deal with issues inherent in a 40+ year old boat?

I've seen some nice E30s recently; they're great looking boats. Almost bought one once, but the cabin trunk was a deal killer. I've seen (and sailed) on E29s, and from my perspective, they are a more attractive option.

Others are free to disagree with these opinions, but there they are, for what they're worth.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Steve Swann

Member III
GOB Review of the E27 This Month

I know this is a bit off subject, but please indulge me for a moment, I did not want to start a new thread just for this:

FYI, there is an article in the new Good Old Boat Magazine this month reviewing the Ericson 27. IMHO, I did not think the article was very flattering; I think the boat is better than it was portrayed.

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

Dick O'Reilly

Love my E30

CaptDan sums up the original 30 well. The later 30is another and much more performance oriented animal. I love my old 30. It sails easily and comfortably. It is a very dry sailor. The high flared bow blocks the spray. Until I put on a dodger this year to make the return from the Ensenada race more comfortable, my 1968 E30 never had one. And of was a SF Bay area most of it's life. I think it does okay in Phrf non-spin racing, but probably needs an inner genoa track to point higher. Under sail the hull never pounds. There are faster old boats. Newport 30 is much faster and just as strong. One of my boat neighbors sailed his back from Turtle Bay several years ago when dead batteries forced him to.

I mostly single hand and it is easily done. At 67 that's important. It also means the smaller cabin is no problem. For a family a roomy boat is a Cat 30. In our races a tiller Cat 30 usually wins.

Dick

marto

Member I
thanks for your comment dick,
waht would you think if you would not have an engine. cold you manage to get your boat around?
I have a santana 30 that I manage myself very well, some times without an engine.
I was wondering about an e27 or e29 ,
I remember an article about a guy taht made cape orn on e34 without an engine, he was worry about a crack taht developed on his keel...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
All good points

Most of the points have been correctly made-in terms of performance, a 29 or especially a 29T is significantly faster than the old 30, and more capable upwind for sure. If ability to get around without an engine (especially upwind) is important, you will better off with the 29.

Otherwise it comes to personal taste-

safe sailing,
S

Dick O'Reilly

Neither an E30 or E29 is an offshore cruiser

But that doesn't mean they can't be cruised. I know of at least one E30 that cruised the Pacific. If you seriously want to understand what cruising without an engine is about, read the books of Lynn and Larry Pardy, who cruised engineless for years (but enjoy cruising with an engine these days).

Given favorable conditions and patience nearly any sailboat will get you somewhere without an engine. But good seamanship and an abundance of careful planning are necessary. That means avoiding situations and places where the conditions are too unfavorable.

CaptDan

Member III
I know this is a bit off subject, but please indulge me for a moment, I did not want to start a new thread just for this:

FYI, there is an article in the new Good Old Boat Magazine this month reviewing the Ericson 27. IMHO, I did not think the article was very flattering; I think the boat is better than it was portrayed.

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

I've got that issue on my nightstand and haven't gotten around to reading the article yet. When I do, I'll post my comments.

Generally speaking, the GOB boat reviews attempt to be 'fair and balanced,' but subjectivity isn't excluded either.

The review of the E35II compared, say, to those done on other makes could be interpreted in the same way. In the damning-by-faint-praise-department, for example, is the oft-mentioned E35II heeling moment. Nobody who sails these boats would argue that, but equal emphasis should be placed on sail trim, rudder upgrades, and the boat's ability to stiffen up when she reaches optimum heel angle as well.

I find Ted Brewer's post-article comparisons of reviewed boats with others in their class to be generally more enlightening, because he tackles the specifics from a naval architecture standpoint, leaving the readers to draw their own subjective conclusions.

That said, I enjoy GOB's boat review articles because they often feature marques I've never heard of. :p

Capt Dan G> E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Capt. Max

Member II

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

I thought the same thing, I just read it and wasnt happy. I love mine

PDX

Member III
Ericson 30-1 clarified

Here are my opinions - worth what you pay, as our friend Loren says:

The Ericson 30 really shouldn't be compared to an E29; in many respects they are very different boats. The E30 shares design characteristics with the early 60's CCA vessels - narrow beam, deeper fuller keel, and raised cabin trunk. Bulletproof though they are, the E30s are slower vessels compared to the 'modern' E29.

Is that a bad thing? No - especially considering many CCA boats like Tritons, Ariels and Albergs still ply the blue waters around the globe. But there are downsides - less interior volume per LOA, lower freeboard, and visibility issues created by the high cabin trunk. In many respects, these boats are like the 'classic' woodies - just without the wooden hull.

The E29 might be a more comfortable vessel in all but the most sloppy seas, where the E30 might be more seakindly. But even that comparison is relative.

The questions you have to ask yourself are: where will I be doing most of my sailing? How many crew will I carry and how much storage do I need? If I don't find an E30 in restored condition, am I prepared to deal with issues inherent in a 40+ year old boat?

I've seen some nice E30s recently; they're great looking boats. Almost bought one once, but the cabin trunk was a deal killer. I've seen (and sailed) on E29s, and from my perspective, they are a more attractive option.

Others are free to disagree with these opinions, but there they are, for what they're worth.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

I've read that article, it is about an ericson 26.
I just want more specifics on the sailing of the old 1968 ericson 30.
compared with the e29 or 27.
thanks anyway, I have travel the site a bit now. very good info around.
I'm looking to be a new ericson owner.
ericson 30 29 or 27 are in my prospective.
I see the e30 has a different keel more long runing aft and wider and round on the botom taht is bolted to the hull, diferent od the e27 and 29 like a wing taht does not have bolts and is encapsulated in the fiberglass.
this I asume have to impact the pointing abilities, I know offcourse the best wat to point is have the sails well trimed, but the keed give its limitations.
yes I want to do some offshore sailing with out going crazy for now.
thanks

The Ericson 30-1 keel has lead ballast in encapsulated fiberglass. There are no keel bolts. The keel is not round on the bottom. The bottom edge is parallel to the water surface and is chamfered down to a fine point. The leading and trailing edges are parallel. The keel is long compared to other Ericsons. The keel more closely resembles an Islander 37 (an earlier Bruce King design) than it does any other Ericson.

Not sure the basis for the assumption in an earlier post that the Ericson 29 is probably more "comfortable." The Ericson 30-1 is both beamier, heavier, and nearly two feet longer than the Ericson 29. It does not have a low freeboard (unlike the Carl Alberg designs of the early 60s mentioned). I have not found the high cabin trunk to be a visibility issue and I'm only 5'10".

The points as to the age of the 30-1 are absolutely true. As old beater boats go, the 30-1 has certain advantages, but I wouldn't take it or any other forty year old boat cruising without a complete tear down and rebuild.