Ericson 26

joe-fran

Member II
Hi I just sold my 1971 ERicson 27 last month. I saw a 1985 Ericson 26 listed on E-bay in Conn. I have an active bid in on it but would appriciate any info from current 26 owners on any positive or negative info on this model.
(I actually did not know ERicson made a 26.)

Don Smith

Member II
Erison 26

I have owned a 1985 E26 since 1994 and am the third owner. Generally, I've been happy with it and would buy another. It's solidly built and performs well for a boat of it's type and size.

However, I have one big complaint, and that's lack of storage space. No drawers, and the storage space provided is about 1/3 of what is necessary for coastal overnight cruising. It has what the brochure describes as a,"hanging locker". This is a joke - akin to calling a cigar box a suitcase. I can haul what I need for the weekend, but when I'm at anchor at the island my stuff is strewn all over the interior because it can't be stowed in an orderly fashion.

My guess is that the Ericson marketing department won the argument and the boat ended up with a little extra bunk space in lieu of the necessary storage space, so that it could be advertised as, "sleeps six". At best, it can accomidate two adults and two small kids for a weekend trip, if they're a very close-knit group. .

Captain Don
E26, Gitana

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Ericson 25+

I had a 1982 Ericson 25+ "Shaken not Stirred" for 5-6 years. She was a great little boat but she was a small. One could hardly close the head door when seated and the forward v-birth is where most gear got stowed. We built shelves there to increase storage. The dining table folded up against the bulkhead giving the main salon more usable room than my current E-32-200. We installed a hinged shelf which added some good counter space as meal time but folded down at other times.
There was a ton of room under the cockpit because "Shaken" was powered by an 8hp Yamaha 4-stroke. (good and bad news). We installed bracing for plastic tubs to fit and stay under the cockpit. The tiller seemed to get in the way with four in the cockpit.

She did fairly well racing (phrf 213) and all in all was a lot of fun. I miss her ease of handling when I am struggling to stay in charge of my much bigger and heavier E-32.

Good Luck
Larry Lee
Savannah, GA
Annabel Lee E-32-200

I love my little Ericson 26. I'm used to backbackping/mountaineering and sea kayaking, so it seems like I have plenty of room.

I took the guys I race with sailing on my boat and they were impressed at how well it sails.