Ericson 23-2 backstay question

Peter34

Hi all. I'm very much a newbie both to sailing in general (did my 101, 103, 104 last year) and to Ericson boats. I recently purchased a '76 Ericson 23-2 centerboard. When purchased the mast was not up. I stepped the mast and got sails up and have taken it out twice now and seems to be performing well. However, I'm curious about the backstay. The manual indicates it was designed with a split backstay. Indeed, on my boat the backstay does split. however, there is only a single backstay attachment on the transom. It is located starboard of midline, but certainly more midline than it would be if it was a true split backstay attachment. The actual stay is split with one line going to this attachement, the other is much shorter and really isn't long enough to reach the transom at all even if there were a place to attach it.

Curious if anyone has seen this setup? Seems like slight asymmetric aft tension on the mast? Not sure if I need to have this re-rigged or if it's ok as is? Seems to sail fine, though I'm not exactly pushing the boat to its capacity at this point.

I've attached a photo

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• backstay.jpg
    backstay.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson site!
I hope some owners can provide backstay info for you.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It sounds like the short wire might be a "pigtail," or "backstay pendant" intended to support the boom when the sailing day is done.

Common on sailboats without a topping lift. If you already have a topping lift, consider removing the pigtail.

Peter34

Ahhh. That makes sense, I bet you're right. Thanks! I shouldn't stress about the backstay attaching to the transom slightly starbord of midline then?

EnviroGirl

Do you have the complete owners manual?!!! We have a 23-2 1976 swing keel that we acquired a week ago and the manual is missing pages. If we could possibly get a pdf of the manual I would be eternally grateful!
Sincerely,
Susan