Engine tach issues/questions

joe-fran

Member II
My original tach (1988) E-28 Universal M10) got fried last year in a lightening strike. Last winter, I went to the local used marine parts facility in Quincy Ma. Found a similar 4000 RPM tach, put power to it, it went to 0000 rpm and seemed OK. Put it in last winter. When I start the boat it seems to read OK. As the motor runs for a few minutes, the tach reads a lower and lower RPM and does not vary from about 800 - 1000 prm no matter what the real engine speed is. There were a couple of plastic adjustable screws on the rear but I never touched them nor do I know what they are for. Any suggestions? PS the alternator was replaced after the lightening hit.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Can't tell you how to fix the tach, or even adjust it..... What I can do is point you at the Tiny Tach. http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/diesel.php Small digital tach, senses the injector line pulses, sealed and durable. I have used the gas engine models many times and love them. I'm about to order a diesel model for the boat as I do not trust the stock tach anymore. RT