engine dying under power

Bobg

Member I
Hi, I have a 87 ericson 34 with a universal/kubota engine, 25xp, the engine will run on the the dock at around 1500 rpm it will idle all day, put when I put it in gear then it slowly sputters and die, I changed both filters, my gut feeling is that the tank is full of crud or something, and plugs my new filters very quickly, had to get towed in last time. Any thoughts out there? has anyone ever removed that tank, seems like I have to cut the boat apart to get it out.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Search this website and you'll find some who have cut inspection/clean out ports in their tanks. They were able to successfully clean the crud and get their remaining fuel cleaned. Christian Williams has either a post or a blog entry on that process. Others have had new tanks made when there were leaks developing in the aluminum but, as you said, it takes some doing (cutting) to get some of the tanks out and to get a new one installed. You may need to reduce the tank size slightly if you go for replacement. Good luck!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bobg,

Where have you been? I have a friend with a Catalina (not sure what engine) that was having a similar issue. It turned out to be the fuel lift pump. There was a bad electrical connection inside the pump housing. If you wiggled the wire going into the pump it would start to work. He replaced the pump and everything was fine.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Cleaning and polishing

We were clogging fuel filters when sailing in rough conditions. We were able to find a fuel dock that would clean the tank with high a pressure diesel pump and polish our fuel before returning it to the tank. This was 12 years ago. No problems since. Remember to keep your tank topped off so there is less room for the nasties to grow.

Baslin

Member III
Sounds like you may be sucking air into the lines somewhere or possibly the fuel pickup tube is clogged. Some pickup tubes have a sock or screen style filter on the end. Over time, they can get clogged and rob the engine of fuel under load.

cooper999

Member II
Bobg-

I'm having similar issues (see my thread a few down). Runs fine, even to high RPMs, in neutral, but will ultimately stall in gear after about 30-45 seconds. I'm thinking I'm getting air into my lines somehow having exhausted most other potential causes (to me at least). I had thought that tank contamination/gunk might have been the culprit, but after peaking inside after removing the fuel gauge, I'm not convinced this is the case. Next step will be to check the filter inside my electric fuel pump, and if it's relatively clear (which I expect), the Racor/Racor housing may be to blame.

Hi, I have a 87 ericson 34 with a universal/kubota engine, 25xp, the engine will run on the the dock at around 1500 rpm it will idle all day, put when I put it in gear then it slowly sputters and die, I changed both filters, my gut feeling is that the tank is full of crud or something, and plugs my new filters very quickly, had to get towed in last time. Any thoughts out there? has anyone ever removed that tank, seems like I have to cut the boat apart to get it out.

hodo

Member III
dying under power

Not sure if Universal did this, but I did some trouble shooting on a friends boat with a Yanmar 3 cyl. Found the 90 degree fitting at the tank outlet had a check ball in the fitting. It was a collection point for any crud in the system. We cleaned the fitting, removed the ball and spring, started right up after bleeding. "Runs better than ever" he says. No issues going to Gulf Islands ,BC, and back. I believe it was some anti siphon device.
Hope this helps.
Harold, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

frick

Member III
a way to check the fuel in the tank

Greetings,

On my E29, I have a straight shot from the diesel fuel deck plate to the tank.

I will take the oils changing wand, go down the fuel deck plate, and suck the bottom of the tank.
If your can, suck it into a jar, so your see, water, or and crud.

I help a friend do this, and we suck out about a half gallon of water off the bottom of his tank.

Use biocide! Always!

Rick+