End caps for Schaeffer traveler

robrill

Member I
The rubber end caps on my original equipment Schaeffer traveler for my '86 E-30+ are rapidly cracking and crumbling from age, salt water and U/V exposure, etc.

Does anyone know if replacement caps are available?

Thanks,

Rob

GMaurer

Member II
I had the same problem with the 1988 E28 I purchased last year.
I was able to order new ones from Schaeffer through a Marine Supply (Spicer's in Noank, CT). It took a few weeks to receive, and they were shaped slightly diffrent (on the exterior), but they matched the existing traveller.

robrill

Member I
Thanks. All I need to do is measure the track and I should be all set. Of course, I could replace the whole thing with a Harken version, but I don't have too many complaints other than the unsightly end caps and I've got a half dozen other projects to get done....

robrill

Member I
I contacted Rig-Rite. The only question I have now is which of the two sizes to get. The person I spoke to couldn't offer any guidance. One size is an inch or so bigger than the other, and almost twice as expensive, but they both fit the end of the 1 1/4" track. Any ideas? (I haven't been down to the boat yet to measure the existing ones yet.)

ref_123

Member III
To the best of my memory, one of them is REALLY high - like 3.5 inches; the other is rather low... I know I need a low one.

By the way, do you have 2:1 or 3:1 system?