Electronics Upgrades

bolbmw

Member III
Just a quick update on the direction I've decided to go.

I've placed an order for a Zeus2 7 and navionics charts and will be installing that once it arrives. I am going to put the system together in pieces and will build a nmea 2k network for all of the data, and will add data and instruments as time and funds allow. I chose the B&G because of options in charts and SailSteer in particular. B&G also seems to have, anecdotally, better nmea 2k support although I could not find any negatives to the Garmin. What swayed me over was not wanting vendor lock in for charts and a design decision to utilize nmea 2k. The B&G also has the capability to broadcast the nmea data over TCP which will allow me to use iNavX on my iPad and access that data as well.

I have not decided if I am going to add wireless wind or not yet. I can get a Garmin wireless wind unit and get the wind data onto the network, but it _may_ require a garmin wind instrument in order to configure and connect the unit. It may come paired with the wireless box, it might not. But you need a Garmin device to pair them, so it's a bit of a gamble. Depending on how impatient I get I may wait until and put a wired unit in when I have an opportunity to pull the mast. At which time I'll replace the transducer and get that data onto the network as well. It's possible for me to use my existing transducers from my ST40, but would require a SeaTalk to SeaTalk NG bridge, followed by SeaTalk NG to NMEA 2k (which is just a cable.)

Given the options this was the best fit for building a system as time allows and to get the features I wanted. In time I can replace the autopilot with a EVO 100 unit and utilize the data as well but no real need to right now.

gadangit

Member III
Just a quick update on the direction I've decided to go.

I've placed an order for a Zeus2 7 and navionics charts and will be installing that once it arrives. I am going to put the system together in pieces and will build a nmea 2k network for all of the data, and will add data and instruments as time and funds allow. I chose the B&G because of options in charts and SailSteer in particular. B&G also seems to have, anecdotally, better nmea 2k support although I could not find any negatives to the Garmin. What swayed me over was not wanting vendor lock in for charts and a design decision to utilize nmea 2k. The B&G also has the capability to broadcast the nmea data over TCP which will allow me to use iNavX on my iPad and access that data as well.

I have not decided if I am going to add wireless wind or not yet. I can get a Garmin wireless wind unit and get the wind data onto the network, but it _may_ require a garmin wind instrument in order to configure and connect the unit. It may come paired with the wireless box, it might not. But you need a Garmin device to pair them, so it's a bit of a gamble. Depending on how impatient I get I may wait until and put a wired unit in when I have an opportunity to pull the mast. At which time I'll replace the transducer and get that data onto the network as well. It's possible for me to use my existing transducers from my ST40, but would require a SeaTalk to SeaTalk NG bridge, followed by SeaTalk NG to NMEA 2k (which is just a cable.)

Given the options this was the best fit for building a system as time allows and to get the features I wanted. In time I can replace the autopilot with a EVO 100 unit and utilize the data as well but no real need to right now.

Sounds like a great well thought out plan. Good luck, looking forward to hearing how it all comes together!

Chris