E39 transmission gear ratio

boatboy

Inactive Member
We are interested in changing the prop on our 39B to a 3 blade feathering design. We have pretty much decided on the Kiwi Prop. They would like to know the transmission gear ratio, and I have no idea what it is. We have the original Perkins 4-108 combined with a Borg Warner transmission. I imigine it is the same setup in the flush deck 39. Anyone know the answer to this?

Traveler

Member I
Ahoy

I too would be interested in the answer to this question. My E39 has a Perkins 4.107 / Borg Warner Velvet Drive. I am assuming you are in the same pickle I am in that the data plate on your tranny is missing.

I have been considering going the 3-blade feathering route as well. I am wondering what sold you on the Kiwi prop?

:egrin:

boatboy

Inactive Member
There are a few features that sold me on the Kiwi Prop.
1) Price is much better than other products.
2) The fact that all three blades feather independently of each other means less drag and less chance of prop rotation.
3) Positive feedback I've read from other customers.
4) Less chance of galvonic corrosion with composite blades.
5) Less chance of vibration due to low mass of composite blades.
6) Higher thrust at lower speeds -- like when having to motor sail into nasty head on conditions.

The only thing I am concerned about is that the composite blades might get damaged more easily if they come into contact with something hard at speed.

Lew Decker

Member III
E39B gear ratio

Hi - I will go aboard tomorrow and check the data plate on SERENDIPITY - There are some manuals below as well that might help - Email me if you need more info - S. has a fixed three-blade prop, but I have sailed her so little that I doubt I could tell the difference - Backing down is still a problem even with the monster prop - Take care...

Lew Decker

Member III
E39B gear ratio

Hi - I checked the manuals and the original sales brochures today - It seems the trans has a 1.91:1 gear ratio if it is the stock unit-----Lew, E39B SERENDIPITY

Traveler

Member I
stock unit?

Hi Lew,
Many thanks for looking into this info. I am wondering, when you say your ratio is 1.9:1 on your stock unit, what is the stock unit?

I have a Perkins 4.107 with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive. (with no data plate). Is that what you have? If not, what engine/tranny combo are you running?

Happy Holidays and Fair Winds!

Tom Plummer

Member III
I have one of those Kiwi props it is the three blade version. I installed it last year and we love it, the boat sails faster backs straight and we suffered no loss of powering ability. Our old prop was a fixed 3 blade that was good for powering forward but not much else. I would not worry overly about the exact gear ratio all they are going to do is use the number as a guide to set the blade pitch. If it is off a little it is a simple process to dive down and adjust it in the water. I did it in Flounder Bay, Fidalgo Island the water was real cold but the whole process of adjusting the blade pitch and changing the zinc only took about 15 minutes.:egrin:

Traveler

Member I
kiwi prop

Guys,
Yes, thank you for the info and recomendations for the Kiwi prop. I just got a quote and order form from them. I am very glad to hear you like your prop as their price is really great. I was dreading having to lay down over $3000 for a decent bronze 3-blade featherer. The Kiwi guys quoted me $1250!
Sold!
Gary

Lew Decker

Member III
E39B

Hi - I tried to get more specific about the trans but had no luck - The manual says Perkins shipped engines with Borg-Warner and Paragon transmissions - The trans on SERENDIPITY looks just like the units pictured with the 4-154 and 4-236, not the one with the 4-108 - Is it original? Who knows...But I think the 1.91:1 ratio is accurate - The data plate is too far gone to read - I am also interested in the Kiwi prop - Let me know what you think, whether it is worth the investment, etc. - I am still in cruise mode ----Merry Christmas to all of you - I hope the Holidays find you happy and content and dreaming of far away places----Lew in San Diego

evm

Member II
Hi,

You could measure the reduction ratio. Just put a mark on the transmission to prop shaft coupling and then go and turn the engine over by hand (in gear of course) until the mark returns to its starting point. You should be able to estimate the ratio. One turn of the prop shaft gives you ??? engine rotations. All the normal cautions apply.

Regards, Ethan

Lew Decker

Member III
E39B

Hi - I finally managed to squeeze into the bilge far enough to read the data plate - The trans on SERENDIPITY is a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive, probably the original unit, and the ratio (1.91:1) is stamped on the plate as well - I just moved my boat to a new slip and had to motor a lot - Does anyone out there know why a "Velvet Drive" can be so hard to shift? The fluid level is correct - The cable may need lubrication - Any thoughts? -----Lew

boatboy

Inactive Member
Hi Lew,

As you know, we've got the same setup as you. Our transmission shifts very smoothly with almost no force needed, so the problem you have is not inherent with the design. You might want to try disconnecting the cable from the transmission to figure out if the problem is with the cable (most likely), or with the transmission itself.

Traveler

Member I
My Velvet Drive shifts very easily as well. On my previous vessel, which also had a VD, the shifting was fairly stiff until I replaced the cable, then it was like buttah!

:cheers: