E39 Cockpit Lockers - Watertight?

gadangit

Member III
Has anyone considered creating watertight lockers under the side cockpit seating on an E39? I only ask because the space from the aft end of the boat to the bulkhead under the companionway ladder is one big open space and essentially communicates with the rest of the boat. It seems if one were to get pooped a large amount of water "might" get tossed in. Has anyone experienced that? I am considering taking a year off to kick around and am looking for making the boat inherently safer. Is this a solution looking for a problem?

Thanks!
Chris

Glyn Judson

Does it need to be absolutely watertight?

Chris, Neither of the lockers in the cockpit of our boat are even near watertight but if latched with a small pad lock, wedge of sturdy wood or even a golf tee, would certainly prevent the majority of water attempting to get in. A strip of adhesive-backed foam insulation properly placed on the under side of the hatch would add further protection. What do others think? Slightly off topic: Decades ago I read an article by a fellow who went on to found his own sailboat company here in SoCal (can't remember which make), who insisted that the hasps of all lockers be installed such that the hasps naturally fall open. This was based upon an experience he had on a hot summer day when working alone in the locker of another boat when the hatch fell closed and the hasp, mounted on the hatch and not the cockpit side, closed and secured itself, trapping him in there for hours with absolutely no escape. His wife finally arrived at the boat, extricated him and the lesson was learned. For some inexplicable reason, of the two hasps factory installed in my cockpit, one was up and one was down which I changed as one of the first things after taking delivery of her. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Invasive Sea Water

I am not sure about the best way to handle the potential problem on a 39, but I was on a large boat delivery with a day and a half of gale-force conditions while transiting Cape Mendocino once and the boat was pooped at about 3 am.
It Filled the cockpit. We had to rid the bilges of several gallons of water -- not too easy in a rolling boat.
We had some very large sponges and they helped a lot.
As you might guess, it got in around the lid of an un-gasketed seat locker. Securing the seat hatch is vital, but having some sort of gasket is also a real Good Thing.

In our case we watch the wind and waves build and the skipper refused to duct tape that hatch (and refused to duct tape the lower companionway board).
The good news was that he was in his quarterberth when the water squirted in around the seam in the board and it mostly fell on his face. Poetic justice... :rolleyes:

So carry duct tape, if nothing else.

LB

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

The tape dilema.

Loren and all, The problem with using duct (duck) tape out of doors is that it's only good for so long when exposed to direct sunlight, after that it begins to dry out and "quack". Cheers, Glyn

Guy Stevens

a little foam tape

A little foam tape on the top edges, and along the front edge, we stuck it to the deck portion of the sealing surface. We also had great luck with closed cell foam camping pads cut into strips, and attached with spray 77, They lasted longer than the tape stuff. This also makes me jump less when someone accidentally drops one of those huge locker lids!

20+ thousand miles two knock downs, a few gales, one pooping, and one southern ocean storm (think very cold hurricane), and I never had any water come in that way. Other sources yeah, but not the cockpit lockers.

I think it is more of a factor of how they are designed than the foam strips we put on, but I could be wrong.... Either way it can't hurt.

Guy
:)

gadangit

Member III
E39 Cockpit Lockers - Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it. I guess I'm going to go cut up one of my many camp foam pads and be done with this.
Chris