E380 steering

rotorhead

Member II
My PS E380 has a Whitlock pedestal, with a single lever throttle/transmission shifter combo.

1. I just noticed that the button to disengage the transmission, to be able to throttle up the Yanmar in neutral is missing. I know that Whitlock is part of Lewmar, but I can't find spare lists on their sites. Does anybody know where I can find this part?

2. I also noticed that the helm is very tight. The steering has no cables (rack & pinion ??). I took the front of the wheel shaft off and inspected the (worm) gear, and looks well lubricated. I lubed everything but the helm is still a bit hard to turn. I did not disassembled the entire pedestal either. The boat has been out of the water since July, and was launched in December. Are the rudder bearings worn ??? , or just is the lack of use (she has not been sailed since 2002). I remember on her sea trials, that the helm was a bit stiff, but now it seems worse.

Thanks..
Ismael ;)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Whitlock wonders

IIRC, this was common with the Whitlock systems. The 2 areas I would look at first are the alignment of the rods (rack and pinion), and then the bearings.

Obviously I assume the friction lock is off, right?

Let us know!

Seth

rotorhead

Member II
Yep.....took the friction lock out. Next weekend, i will see if I can disconect the rods from the rack and pinion shaft to the rudder, and then try moving the rudder with the emergency tiller. If it is tight, then the problem is with the bearings...
Any suggestion where i can find the "neutral" button.???
Thx
Ismael

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
check your local good chandlery

your local high end chandlery should be able to get parts like that...
If you can't find it in your area, call Fawcetts http://www.fawcettboat.com/ and they will be able to find it--- along with just about anything else. As always, no affiliation- just a customer.
Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Neutral

But I am assuming you have a "neutral" position right between Fwd. and Reverse..The lack of this button simply means you cannot rev the engine higher than idle while in neutral-correct?

rotorhead

Member II
Exactly.....there is a small hole on the center of bolt/nut holding the throtle lever. If you introduce a small phillips screwdriver, you will disengage the lever from the transmision, and can throtle up in neutral.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Not to be crass, but

I guess the worst case would be keeping a small phillips on a lanyard tied to the pedestal, right? Would a marlinespike work in the hole? That would be even better, since no-one would even wonder why you might have one of those on the pedestal...remember, it should be a pretty rare thing that you need to be in Neutral at a higher than idle power setting-charging batteries while sailing might be the only reason, but you could just put in gear while doing this..

Not trying to suggest you half-ass it, but if you are not able to locate the part, you have options that are not ridiculous.

Good luck,
S

rotorhead

Member II
PS E380 Hatches and Portlights

Does anybody knows who was the supplier for the E380 hatches and the portlights..????

I think the hatches are BOMAR, as the company name is stamped on the knobs. The official PS site lists the portlights as Lewmar, but I could not see a similar porthlight on their website...

I need to replace some of the knobs to close the hatches and portlights. I think I found the hatch knobs at the BOMAR website, but still looking for the portlight's...

Thanks...

ismael:confused:

rotorhead

Member II
Seth...thanks for the suggestion....I will keep trying to find the transmission release button, and will let you know...
Best regards..
Ismael

stbdtack

Member III
neutral button

The button is usually just a plastic part with a rubber cover to keep it in place. I replaced one on a catalina but I cant remember where I got it. I had a couple laying around but I have to check. If its the same one you need Ill send it to you if i can find it. Can you post a pic of the shifter?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Bowmar/lewmar

Both vendors were suppliying hatches at various times. If the hatch says BOMAR, that is where you will need to find parts. For ports, I think they were all Bomar-but someone needs to check me on this...
Good luck!
S

rotorhead

Member II
Ben and Seth...thank you very much....
I'm going to the BVI next weekend; will take pictures of the throtle assessmbly, and the hatches....
best regards...
ismael

rotorhead

Member II
PS E380 neutral button

Just to keep you posted. The Whitlock/Morse SL-3 single lever throtle control issued with the PS E380, was supplied by Morse to both Whitlock and Edson, so I was able to find a replacement (part 309598) with Edson customer service.
The part is items 7 & 8 of the attached diagram.
Just in case anybody lost this part, also...:egrin: .
Ismael

Attachments

• 0135_001.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 9,261