E38 Spinnaker Pole

David Grimm

E38-200
My friend has a forespar 10-18 spinnaker pole for sale. 2 -2 1/2 inches diameter.

Would this be good for wing on wing with 130% Genoa on a e38? I don't plan on going through the hassle of a spinnaker but it would be nice to have a pole to hold the sail out on downwind adventures.

My boat has a spinnaker attachment point on the mast and a bracket on the deck. Should I buy this or get a line control setup?

Dave.

Attachments

• 90398.jpg
    90398.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I just bought a Forespar LC10-18 whisker pole for my E32 last year. Says it's for boats up to 33ft. I'm thinking too small for an E38.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That does look at bit skinny for the job.

Forespar lists recommendations.

https://www.forespar.com/whisker2011.shtml#E_LIST

I chose this Velocity 12-22 line control pole, "maximum boat length 36 feet" :

https://www.forespar.com/product831.html

It's one size down frm recommended but does the job. Tube width is 3 /3.5.

Carbon fiber is a luxury (light, which singlehanders need), but "line control" is more important, if you can budget for it.

The J of the E38 is 16'. The pole length is often 20' for a 120 genoa, and can be much longer for a larger genoa or for setting forward of the bow.

My opinion is that we definitely need a robust, extendable whisker pole, and spinnaker poles don't work. But for a whisker pole old and beat up aluminum is fine, and the button system is a lot cheaper than line control. I use piston fittings at both ends, not the recommended socket at the mast.

A mast track and movable car is a good idea, but a fixed ring on the mast also works --especially if you usually will be setting the same genoa, where the clew height is always the same no matter what the degree of furling.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Be careful. The E-34 measurements are not for the 34-2. Use the 35-3 measurements to get the right pole sizes.

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Christian, What was the weight difference between the Cadillac carbon fiber and the GMC aluminum pole?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the CF pole is 12 lbs. and the aluminum about 20.

That's a whisker pole you're showing in the photo, not a spinnaker pole. Spinnaker poles don't extend.

Teranodon

Member III
I badly need a whisker pole for my genoa, but aluminum is too heavy and carbon is too expensive. I plan to adopt a solution that I have seen around my marina: using a fiberglass sailboard mast, with appropriate fittings. I haven't actually done it, so I offer this for what its worth.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Sent you a pm, Dave.

EDIT: the pole has been sold. Thank you for the connection!

Last edited: