E38 questions

wduncan

My wife and I are considering a 1981 Ericson 38 and I have a question, the boat is a light brown color and it doesn't seem to be painted. Did Ericson make many with this color gel coat?

Also what should I look for in my self survey? I will be hiring a pro to do the real survey if we decide to buy.

Thanks,
Will

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Don Casey has written a very good book called "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" which gives a good overview of how to do an initial inspection. I'm sure there are other similar books as well.
Frank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My wife and I are considering a 1981 Ericson 38 and I have a question, the boat is a light brown color and it doesn't seem to be painted. Did Ericson make many with this color gel coat?
Thanks,
Will

A tan gel coat hull color must have been an option. We looked a similar E-38 of that vintage when we were shopping in San Francisco, in '94. The early model we were aboard also had Atkins Hoyle aluminum framed hatches and an aluminum framed companionway slider, as well.
If you can find the video (dvd?) by ret. surveyor Jim Jessie called "Be Your Own Surveyor, Almost" ...
it is very good. He did the purchase survey for our boat, fall of '94. Very knowledgeable guy.

Happy shopping!
Loren

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have seen a light brown cove stripe but not the whole boat. Of course it seems that virtually all ericsons are the same off white primary color. Ours was originally red gelcoat that has been painted over with red Imron.

Glyn Judson

Hull color from the factory.

Will, If by light brown you mean tan, by all means Ericson used that color. As a matter of fact the E31 alone came new in white, tan (beige), dark green, dark blue, light blue (baby blue) and a maroon very similar to the color of bottom paint. I see no reason why the boat you're looking at couldn't have been done that way at the factory especially if the original owner stipulated that color as I think the only baby blue E31 owner must have done. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 (beige), Marina del Rey, CA

dwigle

Member III
at least one more

I know of at least one more light tan 38, mine. Originally tan with blue trim, now with burgandy trim. Seems like I have seen others. For those with this color, it might be handy to note that almond colored appliance paint from Orchard Hardware is a good match for the smooth parts, not the non skid.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8

noproblemo2

Member III
Our E-38 was tan in color and has held up very well, as a 1981 former original owner until Sept. the color was the original.:egrin: