e38-200 AC wiring question

jtomas

Hi all,
I have a 1990 E38-200 and have a following issue:
All the 110v outlets on the starboard side work, and none of the outlets on the port side work... I tried tracing where does the main wire go to connect both sides and I cannot trace it...
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help!
J.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Hey J. I believe, but am not positive, that the ac wiring runs forward up starboard under the zippered headliner above the cabinets, from the panel. It loops around under the zipper at the front of the forepeak, and then back down port to the aft cabin.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
If it is a single string of outlets, one should be able to pull out the last of the "working" outlets (with power off!) and see if there is a second cable leading to the other side and test whether it's good. Repeat until you find the connector. If there are two separate strings, the first outlet in each should be GFI.
"Should."
Test whether there is voltage going in and voltage going out. Note that GFI outlets's have "line" terminals and "load terminals" on the back. Downstream outlets connected to the "load" side are protected by that GFI. A second cable going out of the "line" side would be an unprotected branch.

jtomas

Hey J. I believe, but am not positive, that the ac wiring runs forward up starboard under the zippered headliner above the cabinets, from the panel. It loops around under the zipper at the front of the forepeak, and then back down port to the aft cabin.
I just looked, but cannot find any AC wires there...

jtomas

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I am a bit puzzled - I did a lot of tracing, poking, but not much fixing at all, but somehow it is all working now!
I guess I have to go through the system not to be surprised in less favorable conditions.

Again, thank you for all the ideas!
J.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi all,
I have a 1990 E38-200 and have a following issue:
All the 110v outlets on the starboard side work, and none of the outlets on the port side work... I tried tracing where does the main wire go to connect both sides and I cannot trace it...
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help!
J.
Start at the panel and look for the nearest GFCI outlet and push reset. They dasiy chain from that the first GFCI outlet.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All good advice, but when one of my 110 outlets sparked and turned black, I hired an electrician. Any lack of confidence regarding shore power, which on my boat runs the fridge all the time while I sleep half an hour away, might make that money well spent. ( I know my level of incompetence. )

Parrothead

Member III
I am a bit puzzled - I did a lot of tracing, poking, but not much fixing at all, but somehow it is all working now!
This points directly to a loose or corroded connection. Manipulating it restored the continuity, applying electrical load will likely cause it to fail again.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Did Ericson use crimped terminals on their AC wires or just try to screw stranded wires into the devices not designed for that?

(There wasn’t any surviving AC wiring on my boat when I took possession. Or got possessed. )

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The intermittent nature of your system sounds hazardous... I would suggest ripping it all out and starting over. Old rotting AC wires and terminals are not something to mess around with. Chafe happens. Corrosion happens. The systems are generally simple, but if not comfortable doing the work yourself it is worth hiring it out.