E35II quadrant access

CaptDan

Member III
I'm in process of scoping out an S1 Wheelpilot install later this season, and plan to include the dreaded 'rudder sensor' feature when I begin the project.

I hate to admit this, but I don't see an easy way to gain suitable access to the quadrant. How does anyone larger than the average six year old crawl through the quarter berth hatch, snake around the cockpit drain box to get at the rudder post, without becoming a permanently entombed feature of the hull? :confused:

If memory serves, Mike Gritten (or another E35II owner) cut an access plate in the starboard lazarette. Is this the only option? And if so, how large an area needs to be removed?

Over the years, I'd managed to lubricate the sheaves and cable using an extended arm and a 'blind shooting' technique with the WD-40 can. Don't ask.:rolleyes:

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Dan,

on our 35 mkII, I can get to most of the steering stuff from the starboard lazarette (sp?). Two of the "sides" of the locker are removable (the aft bulkhead is tabbed to the hull) so I simply take them out and can reach over or behind the fuel tank to adjust the cables, etc. I have done the contortionist special from the quarter berth on occasion as well, with the biggest hassle there being gouging my head on the enormous brackets where an old Benmar auto pilot motor was once mounted!

CaptDan

Member III
:rolleyes_d:
Dan,

on our 35 mkII, I can get to most of the steering stuff from the starboard lazarette (sp?). Two of the "sides" of the locker are removable (the aft bulkhead is tabbed to the hull) so I simply take them out and can reach over or behind the fuel tank to adjust the cables, etc. I have done the contortionist special from the quarter berth on occasion as well, with the biggest hassle there being gouging my head on the enormous brackets where an old Benmar auto pilot motor was once mounted!

Thanks, Mike. So - did your boat originally feature the removable lazarette sides, or did you modify them? I don't think mine are constructed that way, but I'm going to take a closer look this weekend. Seems to me, that's the best way to get into that space.

Years back, when we first hauled the boat, the yard somehow got the rudder out of alignment with the helm. They sent their thinnest mechanic into the maw of the quarterberth, and he managed to set things right. I was at the helm when he did that, and to this day I can't imagine how he got all the way to the quadrant. :confused:

Appreciate the help. Hopefully we'll meet up again this summer.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Dan,

AFAIK the setup is original, but, then again I didn't know that my boat's original gelcoat was dark green until last year! It's been painted white for many years now. So take everything I say with that nugget filed neatly away. What was it that Mulder used to say to Scully...."Trust No One".

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
mine has the original tank. i have found that the most comfortable/ convenient access is over the tank.i just remove the fill hose and have long ago routed everything to not block the access door. it also gives great storage space, i would like to permanently move the fill hose from the center of the space though. oh well if I'm lucky the tank will rust out and make that practicle... anyway see if the over the top method will work for you. Edd

CaptDan

Member III
mine has the original tank. i have found that the most comfortable/ convenient access is over the tank.i just remove the fill hose and have long ago routed everything to not block the access door. it also gives great storage space, i would like to permanently move the fill hose from the center of the space though. oh well if I'm lucky the tank will rust out and make that practicle... anyway see if the over the top method will work for you. Edd

I don't wish a tank rust on anybody. But, if you have one of those early steel models, well....:rolleyes:

I suppose with some plumbing removal, I MIGHT be able to crawl above my tank. I did lose 10 pounds this year, so, I'll investigate that possibility if the lazarette method proves problematic.:nerd:

Thanks for the responses, guys. Appreciate the help.

PS: Mike - what tipped you off to the original hull color?

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Dan,

it's a good story! Early last year I noticed an "old salt" bobbing around in his dinghy off the stern of our boat while I was bbq'ing dinner. Being neighbourly, I waved at him and asked if he wanted to stop over for a beer. He motored over to our finger but didn't get out of his dink. He had the biggest grin on his face and proceeded to tell me that I had the best boat in the marina. I knew he was just being polite as I know that Papillon needs a LOT of cosmetic work done, but we had decided to work on the systems first and paint and polish later. I thanked him and asked why he thought the way he did.
Well, he shut the motor off and told me this tale. 30 years ago, he worked for the local Ericson dealer here in False Creek in Vancouver. One of their customers, a retired British colonel or something had bought this beautiful, dark green hulled 35 because it was his wife's favourite color. He loved the way the Ericson sailed but had been having trouble with a pesky oil leak from the engine oil pan. Back then the warranty period was short and such a minor thing was no longer covered. My new friend saw his opportunity and offered to fix the leak himself if the Brit would lend him the boat for a few days sailing. After thinking about it for just a few seconds, he responded by agreeing as long as the boat was back in his hands the following Monday (6 days later).
Keeping his eye on the prize, my new acquaintance realized that time was a wastin' and he wanted to go sailing! So he got a couple of buddies to help him. They pulled the Westerbeke out onto the dock and loaded it into a wheelbarrow and humped it down the Creek to the local machine shop. A little welding magic later, they had the motor back in the barrow and on its way home. They had everything back in and running nicely by the following evening - oil leak banished forever. That gave him 5 days sailing the Gulf Islands in my Papillon. 5 days, he says were the best 5 days of sailing in his life. And that is why when he sees her on the water, she's the prettiest girl at the dance.
Well, I had to ask him how he recognized her with her new/old white and blue paint job. He responded that he had always kept his eye out for her and her name has always been the same, so he was aware that she dressed differently now. He pointed out a small area on the stern where the paint had flaked off to reveal the old, dark green gelcoat. Well I was quite impressed with his story, although I doubted the veracity of his claim from 30 years ago. Anyway, he thanked me for my time and promised to look for an old brochure he had laying around that he thought might be for an E35 mkII and promised he would drop it by sometime. We shook hands, waved good bye and he motored off into the evening. I didn't think much about it until a week or so later when we came aboard to find a manilla envelope in the cockpit containing an original E35 brochure in decent shape, and much to my delight, an old polaroid photo of Papillon on the hard, in all her green-hulled glory! And in the photo you can clearly see the ship's bell, just where it sits today on the stern rail! Unmistakably, this was our boat! Pretty cool!

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Dan,

And in the photo you can clearly see the ship's bell, just where it sits today on the stern rail! Unmistakably, this was our boat! Pretty cool!

Great story indeed! You should send that one into Good Old Boat.:egrin:

I'm sure you have the photo and the brochure featured in Papillon's ship album, yes?:p

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"