E35 New Sail, Need exact Spec?!

skipper2dave

Am very content owner of Ericson 35 MKII about to make the leap into first laminate foresail, having found a nice one with one sided taffetta for added longevity. Problem is I don't know my maximum Luff dimension because I am in NYC for month of medical treatment, and boat and mast are in hailing port of Buffalo, NY. Frankly wife at home does not know difference between the luff and leech. If anybody could verify FORESTAY LENGTH I would be able to calculate pretty accurately by deducting dimensions of older Harken furling system which I can look up. Bottom line is that I will need minimum of 43' 1" luff 'space' for sail to fit. I do know that "I" dimension of E 35 MKII is 43 feet, thus after talking to Pythagoras and having a rough idea of furling drum and swivel size it seems I am pretty close; however, if l have anything less than 43' 1" I will need to kiss this sweet new sail deal goodbye.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not what you might wish to hear, but nothing really replaces measuring the headstay, pin to pin, on the boat.
(Back when sabertooth creatures roamed the Earth I was a rep for a sailmaker for several years and learned that the best of honorable intentions cannot replace a tape measure.)
:nerd:

I wonder if -- long shot, for sure -- there is a forum member living near your boat's location that might do this?

Best of luck,
Loren

RMX

Member I
I must agree with Loren, measure more than once with tape measure raised on halyard. All the "I,J,and abc" can't tell you your full hoist. For instance, my forestay is 49'9", I is 47'75", according to sailboat data. My true full hoist on the RF is 46'6". Many measurements come into play. The RF itself, the splice and shackle size on halyard and the Tack. Those inches add up. Also the head size needs to be considered so the head turns between mast and forestay.

Remember to to attach a separate line to pull down halyard after measuring. Many a measuring tape have been broken on the way down stranding the halyard.

Rod
E36RH
Lucia

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would much prefer to put a used sail on the boat and inspect the whole thing for cut and wear as well as fit. That sorta leaves out buying by mail, but maybe you have a local source.

Our headsails are semi-permanent nowadays, with roller furling. With little need for an inventory the one sail needs to be just right.

Laminated sails can have subtle manufacturing flaws and often can't be recut easily, or at all.

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I would much prefer to put a used sail on the boat and inspect the whole thing for cut and wear as well as fit. That sorta leaves out buying by mail, but maybe you have a local source.

Our headsails are semi-permanent nowadays, with roller furling. With little need for an inventory the one sail needs to be just right.

Laminated sails can have subtle manufacturing flaws and often can't be recut easily, or at all.

Fully agree with Christian - I did this with a used sail I bought that was slightly oversized (a standard dacron sail it could easily be re-cut). I handed the sail loft the known-to-fit jib as well as the new-to-me dacron jib, and it came back cut absolutely perfectly. If there are small modifications to be made, the loft can make them easily, or you could specify this on your new sail. Just ship the cut jib to them and tell them to use whatever dimensions from it you'd care for them to copy.

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
I have an E35 2 as well, and some racing headsails I'm looking to offload. My boat has an express 34 rig omit, but I'm pretty sure the dimensions are similar, my forestay is 44' 7'. My sails terminate about 18" from the top, not sure of how common that is

-p

frick

Member III
Doyle Message my Rig

Doyle Measured my Rig

I ordered a new Main a few years ago....
Yes I had the Rig numbers... But they came and messaged to verify before building my new main.
This is what Sailmakers DO...

Rick+

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Laminate sails are great for a few years. Then they get ugly and start to fall apart. Great if you are racing or just want to add something fun and new to your quiver of sails.
Best to have something like that measured to fit. Then you'll have support if something doesn't fit.