e35 mk3 Transmission problem - questions

dustintodd

Member II
Since purchasing my 1989 35 mk3 8 years ago the transmission has leaked AT fluid pretty much constantly. In the last couple years the transmission has started to acting up. Primarily Oct/Nov when the weather gets cold. The symptoms only occur when the Universal M25XP is started up from sitting cold. There are no unusual sounds but it won't engage right away. After a few attempts it will and once warmed up it functions as normal. This pattern has gotten a bit worse every fall/winter. Looking for any input on what these symptoms indicateabout the condition of the transmission. I don't want to wait till it fails completely, but I also have no idea how quickly it will get worse. First time watching a diesel transmission die.

Also looking for experience on removing the transmission without lifting the motor out. Is it possible/practical in e35 owners experience?

Thanks in advance

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Since purchasing my 1989 35 mk3 8 years ago the transmission has leaked AT fluid pretty much constantly. In the last couple years the transmission has started to acting up. Primarily Oct/Nov when the weather gets cold. The symptoms only occur when the Universal M25XP is started up from sitting cold. There are no unusual sounds but it won't engage right away. After a few attempts it will and once warmed up it functions as normal. This pattern has gotten a bit worse every fall/winter. Looking for any input on what these symptoms indicateabout the condition of the transmission. I don't want to wait till it fails completely, but I also have no idea how quickly it will get worse. First time watching a diesel transmission die.

Also looking for experience on removing the transmission without lifting the motor out. Is it possible/practical in e35 owners experience?

Thanks in advance

Hi Duston,

Ours is not a 35 but it is an 89 32-200 with the same motor and used to be same tranny. Just like you're experiencing ours would leak out ATF however, it kept functioning fine.

Had it pulled (had to remove engine for this) so the yard could put new seals in. I told them if it costs more than $800 do not rebuild since a new transmission was only about $1000. They rebuilt it (at more than $1000), put it all back together and it leaked all the ATF just like before.

Thanfully they hey did the right thing and installed a brand new transmission free. So far so good (after over 600 engine hours).

I learned through experience and a conversation with an ex Hurth employee,that even they believe their transmission to be disposable. In fact the ex employee told me they called it the $1 per hour transmission.

Rick

dustintodd

Member II
Hi Duston,

Ours is not a 35 but it is an 89 32-200 with the same motor and used to be same tranny. Just like you're experiencing ours would leak out ATF however, it kept functioning fine.

Had it pulled (had to remove engine for this) so the yard could put new seals in. I told them if it costs more than $800 do not rebuild since a new transmission was only about $1000. They rebuilt it (at more than $1000), put it all back together and it leaked all the ATF just like before.

Thanfully they hey did the right thing and installed a brand new transmission free. So far so good (after over 600 engine hours).

I learned through experience and a conversation with an ex Hurth employee,that even they believe their transmission to be disposable. In fact the ex employee told me they called it the $1 per hour transmission.

Rick

It seems like I could get the transmission off if I could reach the bolts with the right tool. Did they say why they had to pull the motor?