E35 mk 2 Keel Bolts?

SV Rhiannon

Greetings from Australia. I have a 1980 Ericson 35 mk ii and have a newbie question about accessing / inspecting / tensioning the keel bolts. I can only see the top of one bolt - what looks to be the most forward one under main cabin floor hatch. This appears to be quite pitted and corroded so I’d like to inspect the others but can’t see them. Any tips?
Thanks all,
Nat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AFAIK all of the 35-2 models had internal ballast. What is visible from inside (also on many brands of similarly-ballasted boats is sometimes the top of the cast-in eye that was used to lower the cast lead ballast down into the keel cavity during construction.
Other owners of that popular model will likely be checking in with first hand info.

Welcome to the EY group!
:egrin:

SV Rhiannon

AFAIK all of the 35-2 models had internal ballast. What is visible from inside (also on many brands of similarly-ballasted boats is sometimes the top of the cast-in eye that was used to lower the cast lead ballast down into the keel cavity during construction.
Other owners of that popular model will likely be checking in with first hand info.

Welcome to the EY group!
:egrin:
Well that is wonderful and reassuring news! Thank you @Loren Beach and thanks for the warm welcome.
Nat, Pittwater, Australia.

Attachments

• IMG_5594.jpeg
    IMG_5594.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 8
My 73' E27 had the encapsulated keel as well. What a relief. No smile at haul out and no bolts to fail.
Indeed, it was one of the reasons I’d gravitated towards Ericsons as opposed to other makes. Have read tha keel bolts offer better “flex” when accidentally grounding or during a bottom collision but is a reasonable tradeoff

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Agreed! I have had sever soft groundings without issue. The owner of SureShot E32-3 on this forum had a hard grounding and the prospect of structural damage with the bolt on keel. The flex wasn't enough to ease his fears. I believe performing the repair (tearing it all apart) was the only way to see how much damage there was. A truly difficult decision. Best to avoid grounds whenever possible. I guess????