E35/3 Cockpit lockers

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

I was wondering if other Ericson 35/3's are any different in terms of the inside of the cockpit lockers - particularly the starboard one. Mine doesn't have any divider or bulkhead between the locker & the engine compartment. Consequently I get a lot of noise coming through from the engine, the locker gets really hot after motoring (not great with the garbage bucket there). As well, my refrigeration unit compressor is in there so the heat will greatly reduce it's efficiency. All the boat has now is a piece of canvass running along the inboard side of the locker and I'm afraid of fenders or anything else in the locker falling down into the engine compartment. I'm considering two things - firstly a drop in plywood divider to seal off the engine from the locker (running parallel to the keel) and secondly one at the back of the engine compartment athwartships to seal it off.

Has anyone else addressed this issue?

Many thanks,

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver, BC

Richard Austin

Starboard locker divider

Hi Steve.

We just bought an Ericson 35/3 in August. The previous owner did a very nice job of framing the starboard locker. It has 2 "levels" now, and it is all plywood. The cover to the engine area has engine insulation. I haven't noticed much noise or heat coming from it.

I'll try to take some pictures of what it looks like and post them, but it will be a week or 2 till I get up there again.

Kind Regards,

Richard
35/3 Dreamtime
Sequim, WA

Last edited:

Ernest

Member II
Starboard locker

We have a drop in divider to seperate the engine from the locker, which is actually two pieces of plywood that fit into slots in the forward end, aft end, and floor of the locker. One piece of plywood has a groove on the vertical edge to accept the second piece. The groove is formed by a firring strip on either side of the plywood. It's easier to do in two pieces. Ernest Schlesinger

Ray Rhode

Member III
Steve,

Journey came with a canvas curtain that snapped into place. When I added the dedicated start battery I built a floor for the locker to set it on and then built vertical panel to block off the engine. I put hooks on the top of the panel to hang dock lines and lined the back of the panel with sound deadening foam/foil. I have pictures which I will try to find.

If your Fridge unit is located in that locker you might want to look at the fresh air duct kit that A-B sells. I cut a hole in the back of the wine locker and ran a 4 inch duct from the cabin to the condenser coils. This provides cooler air to the coils. I also cut exhaust vents in the top of the coaming box. A-B also make a powered duct kit but I can put my hand over the cabin inlet and feel the suction so I think the non-powered version is sufficient.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Who is A-B? Adler Barbour? Where did you see these kits. I have a divider on my 38 but the exhaust line and coolant resevoir are in that locker so it gets pretty warm. I am hoping to insulate that part soon.

erobitaille

Member II
Although I have a plywood divider on Allegria as Richard and Ernest mentioned I found the locker still got warm. I now run the engine exhuast blower when ever the engine is running and leave it on for a few minutes after shut down. I found it drops the temp. in the locker.

Ray Rhode

Member III
I also leave the blower on when motoring and after shut down. Be aware that most of the less expensive (cheaper) blowers are not rated for continuous operation and will not last forever under that kind of service. Next change out I plan to install a continuous operation rated blower.

Ray

erobitaille

Member II
HMM!! I must have one of the good ones or just lucky. WE found we had left it running all the way from Santa Babara to SF.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Ted,

I believe you can order direct or you can take the part number to dealer and have it special ordered. West and BOAT/US also do special orders.

Ray

hathanger

Member II
bulkhead

On my boat 1984 E35-3 [164] I framed a verticle wall to shield the heat and also to hang vertically the extra danforth anchor and rode. The rest of the
space is divided with heavy duty plastic crates to contain and organize locker. Hope this helps! Chip

gabosifat

Member III
E35/3 cockpit locker

Many thanks to all who replied to my post on cockpit lockers.

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver, BC