e34t

ericm

Hello, I'm new to this forum as yesterday I looked at an Ericson 34t.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...th=28&spid=119&slim=quick&is=false&searchtype=
The boat looks much better in the ad... I'm looking at a first sailboat for the wife and I and then selling our powerboat. Questions-The deck is depressed in front of the mast, is this from the turnbuckle being too tight underneath?? Also this boat needs a lot of finish work in the headliner and alot of the wood. The teak plywood where the ports are is shot from water. Sliding hatch is garbage. The boat is on the hard. It seems to be resting on the keel a bit too much- At the rear of the keel, inside, the floor is convex, outside the hull is concave. Will this return to normal if the boat is lifted a bit? The motor is still the Atomic 4 rebuilt by Moyer in Harrisburg. We've looked at Catalina 30s but this boat seems like it could have lots more charm and quality. $21,000 seems like a lot for a boat that shows this poor and no diesel. Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Run.

The depression forward of the mast is probably rotten deck core. The keel has been driven up into the hull, probably the result of a hard grounding. What you're seeing at the aft edge is NOT normal. It may regain it's shape when launched, but it is weakened.

This is a serious project boat. Unless you're looking to work on a boat for a full year most weekends, I'd keep looking.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Searching and Pondering

Hello, I'm new to this forum as yesterday I looked at an Ericson 34t.
The boat looks much better in the ad... I'm looking at a first sailboat for the wife and I and then selling our powerboat. Questions-The deck is depressed in front of the mast, is this from the turnbuckle being too tight underneath?? Also this boat needs a lot of finish work in the headliner and alot of the wood. The teak plywood where the ports are is shot from water. Sliding hatch is garbage. The boat is on the hard. It seems to be resting on the keel a bit too much- At the rear of the keel, inside, the floor is convex, outside the hull is concave. Will this return to normal if the boat is lifted a bit? The motor is still the Atomic 4 rebuilt by Moyer in Harrisburg. We've looked at Catalina 30s but this boat seems like it could have lots more charm and quality. $21,000 seems like a lot for a boat that shows this poor and no diesel. Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Random commentary... and worth random amounts of pennies... :(
As you search the used boat market, be prepared to find that most boats read better in the ads and look better in pictures on the 'net... We sure found this out when we spent a year looking for our "next" boat. Not to completely disrespect the brokerage business, though, because we also met some very honest and helpful brokers.
Your description of the cabin top, cabin side water damage, and shot hatch would tend to make this a project boat IMHO. And with the less-desireable gas engine I would tend to take a pass. There are lots of decent boats on the market, and they are not even all Ericsons! :)
If you shop in the higher-quality end of the used market, and that's a real good idea for boats over 20 years old, keep looking for a well cared for Ericson or Tartan, or Saber... or similar.
The fall bargain season is approaching. Lots of boats out there. Hang onto your money... and bring questions as you think of them.

If you have owned and maintained a powerboat for a while, you already know some stuff to watch for and to avoid or seek out. To some extent, "boats is boats."
One way to view sailboats is that they are kinda like twin engine powerboats. At the 30 to 34 foot size level, you have two "engines" worth about 12K to 20K each to totally replace, whether you are talking twin engines in your express cruiser or a sailboat with a good diesel aux below and a rig and sail plan above... And, yup, I did sorta kinda make up those numbers, but I have been around boats a lot. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of good and thoughtful threads on this site about value and desireable features of Ericsons... and some others makes as well. Use the Search function in the blue bar above these messages.
Here is just one good thread -
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3720&referrerid=28

Whatever you decide on, it first has to please your family, encourage them to really enjoy sailing, and be safe.
So shop, take notes, ask questions, and... check in here as often as you need!

All the best,
Loren

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
In a Word: No.

I vote with Nate: run away from this boat.

You really don't want your first boat to be a structural-overhaul-project boat (unless your brother happens to be a good divorce lawyer). I brought a neglected boat back - and it took two solid years of work - and the stuff I did was minor compared to what you're talking about here...

Keep looking at Ericsons, however - and get Catalinas out of your mind right now. Ericsons (as a fleet) are solidly built, and most owners have taken great pains to do right by them. If you end up with an Ericson - one that's been decently maintained, or at least not damaged - you'll do very well.

There are plenty of boats in your area - so take your time - don't rush into this. Fall is almost here, and there will be a wave of sailboat sales coming up...so your boat (not this boat) is out there for you...

//sse

ericm

I had high hopes, but

thanks for giving me a reality check. I must admit a broker showed us two Hunter 31 and I liked the inside room and teak floor, but I hear I should avoid them. Ericson, C&C, Pearson, etc were recommended by our sailing instructor. I'm trying to find something around 30ft with a lot of cruising comforts. We looked at a Sabre 28 that had a ton of sails and baby smooth bottom, but I hit my head entering the v berth (I'm 5' 10). It was around 17,000. I haven't seen many Ericsons in Md in my range of up to $25,000 (pretty low, I know). Being new to sailing and frugal also I don't want to spend much right now. If anyone knows of a boat in the area in this range please let me know. Shopping is fun also but I don't want to shop forever. Thanks for all the honest advice.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
In the price range you are shopping in you should be more concerned about condition and equipment than brand. Lots of people don't like Hunters. The shoal draft models don't sail very well. However I know of a Hunter that has the deep keel and is very successfully raced. A good clean well equipped Hunter, Irwin, Catalina, etc. is still a better deal than a basket case "better" boat. Better is a relative term. Many of these so called lesser boats do just fine daysailing, bay sailing and light coastal cruising. Sail the boat you are interested in buying if at all possible. Fully research each and every possibility. This can be a grueling, annoying search and it can take longer than you think. Or you can stumble on the "one" tomorrow. Just be open to all the possibilities. There are many great boats out there. RT

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
thanks for giving me a reality check. I must admit a broker showed us two Hunter 31 and I liked the inside room and teak floor, but I hear I should avoid them. Ericson, C&C, Pearson, etc were recommended by our sailing instructor. I'm trying to find something around 30ft with a lot of cruising comforts. We looked at a Sabre 28 that had a ton of sails and baby smooth bottom, but I hit my head entering the v berth (I'm 5' 10). It was around 17,000. I haven't seen many Ericsons in Md in my range of up to $25,000 (pretty low, I know). Being new to sailing and frugal also I don't want to spend much right now. If anyone knows of a boat in the area in this range please let me know. Shopping is fun also but I don't want to shop forever. Thanks for all the honest advice.

You should also carefully consider how important certain aspects of sailing are to you, such as racing or cruising. Those kinds factors will generally guide you, and limit the parade of boats you see before you. More than anything, don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket, or some broker talk you into something you don't really want (or need).

Using myself as an example, during my search, I thought that tradition and pedigree were very important, and was looking along the lines of Cape Dory (full keel boats, heavy), etc. As time went on, I realized that I wanted a more generous layout - something that was 'fast', but could also go cruising and (sorry for this, guys...) entertain on... After I found the E35-3, I was hooked, as it hit all those areas and more...

If you're tight on money, be very, very clear about what you're getting involved with. Sailing generally, and boat ownership in particular are very time demanding and cost intensive. It's easy for a project cost to jump from $300 to $1500 - and then something breaks that costs another $600...

The advice from the others is good - the other brands you mentioned are good - but I (personally) would still avoid others and focus on the quality of the hull.... Enjoy the search - it's interesting what you'll learn about yourself in the process!

//sse

Bardo

Member II
EricM,
Okay, not to make an ad out of this, but you asked! I have a 1968 Bristol 29 which I am finishing up right now and want to sell in order to buy MY Ericson 34 (out there somewhere!). Black Pearl is in MD. I have done the following:

Replaced cockpit sole
Refinished all bright work 9 (Cetol light, 3 coats)
Reworked electric guages and ignition system
Replaced bilge blower fan
repaired damp core on deck (just finished)
Painted all deck areas with System 3 WLPU (See jamestown Distributors)
(this will be completed in October or before sale whichever is sooner)
rebedded stanchions (in work as part of the above project)
New main and Jib 2006
New roller furler on jib 2006
new dock lines 2005
Atomic 4 reworked 2006 (new fuel filter, carbeurator etc) 2007
New teak drop boards (in work)

She is a true classic beauty that sails like a dream and is good for short cruises. Bristol is one of the great "classic Glass" boats, and this one is in great shape, with a solid hull and dry cabin. Draws 4.5 ft. perfect ChesBay boat. let me know if you are interested. Oh, 14k is the price. Plenty of room in your budget for a fitting out for cruising!

Freeman
(This has been a paid politcal announcement)

Last edited:

ericm

Keep them coming

I'm guess I'm guilty of trying to find a "deal". This would also be the first time I slipped a boat. I trailer boat right now and we'd love to be able to stay on the boat rather than in a hotel. I'm starting my search low, having just begun; $25,000 or so seemed like a good start to determine what's available at this price point. Not much. We would most likley just daysail initially but it's two hours to any decent water- that's why we'd like to stay on the boat at our dock.

bigtyme805

Member III
The first thread you put up a link and I clicked on it. Would have never thought it was the same boat you mentioned. That is why you look at a boat before buying it.

My vote would be to stay away unless you were going to do the work yourself on those decks, and having keel issues would certainly mean lots of money.

You will find a boat that fits your budget just keep your eyes and ears open.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"reconditioning"

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...d=1229187&back=boatDetail.jsp&boat_id=1229187

This one's six hours away, a little far, but they do have nice interiors. Looks like a lot of upgrades. Anyone down in that area know of this boat?

A few more questions...
When 20 yr old sales are "reconditioned", are they any good and how long can they be expected to last for cruising purposes.

IMHO, "reconditioning" of worn out sails is just a way to paint 'em white to help sell a boat to an uneducated buyer. You cannot put strength and shape back into worn, UV damaged, stretched-out sails from two decades ago.
Just buy that boat knowing that you will immediately put on a new main and jib -- and the final purchase price will reflect that reality.
And.... that the prior owner was big on covering defects rather than doing preventative maintenance and regular upgrades...
Certainly not a deal killer, just one more reason that any purchase required a good survey and "eyes wide open" going in.

Sorry to seem like I am trying to "Dutch uncle" you, but watching you enter into the (well) used sailboat market, you need to leard to watch out for ads that feature one or two modern add-ons, like a "GPS at the helm" or "two new halyards!"... on a boat old enough that it should ALL new standing and running rigging within the last 5 to 7 years...

Memo to self: nip that rant in the bud! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably just the 'reality distortion field effect' of the internet, but the Virginia located 1981 E30+ referenced above looks quite nice.
Loren