E34 Stbd lazarette major project

cawinter

Member III
All done-finally

Just for completeness sake! I am all done with the stbd sail locker. After pulling out the rusted water heater (no problem) and the cracked holding tank w/ hoses (deep breath!) I had pulled the wall out. I repainted the entire space w/ gray and white Bilgecoat (love that stuff!). Vent hose was replaced w/ 3" Al rigid hose. All other hoses (see Tom's emails on that) were visually checked and ok. That was excellent! As I am painting away I suddenly sense smoke coming out from underneath the muffler. Darting out into the aft cabin I find two wires from the charger to the batteries aglow (just inside the fuses; PO installation; I wanted to change for a long time...). A fire extinguisher later I had my plate full! Ripped out all primary wiring going to the switch, installed a breaker for the #4 wires to the panel on the bulkhead right next to the switch (plenty of room behind just need small hands :nerd:), installed the Link10 shunt inside the 'drive compartment' above the shaft (w/ appropriate small terminal strip; looks nice). I also took the opportunity to take out the old charger and put in a TC20. Very nice addition. Provisions for a solar charger are there, I just need to find a way to switch off and not have more live wires when I am not on board.

ROnco made a nice replacement tank w/ different fittings (great), and I replumbed everything w/ Odorsafe (expensive) hose. Even included a y-valve not to suck against the Whale pump. Ducting is much better than before, and I recommend the new hose runs. Attached is a picture FYI. Good project overall! Since we were also redoing a bunch of other things after the storm last year I had time... Dangriga went in on 7/13 (Friday) at 1313. Just wanted to make sure! ;)

Attachments

• Finished Holding Tank.jpg
    Finished Holding Tank.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 54

Shadowfax

Member III
Nice Job

Chris,
Nice job. Did you do away with the CNG and go propane? Also, do you have refrigeration? If so where did you mount the condenser?

cawinter

Member III
Stripped down

Paul,

LPG is still in the port aft locker. No plans to go CNG. No refrigeration other than ice blocks in the box. I don't go to far-away places where there isn't ice to be found. Keeps it simple. The water heater is also gone. I decided not to replace (builds character and immune system response) but I left all the hoses in place for future reconsideration. They are so tucked in that it would have been too much work to pull out. I found a short moulded hose (3/8" ID, I believe) to short-circuit the coolant loop. I like simple and this went in the right direction. The thing I really like now is the fact that my tank doesdn't have any fittings on the bottom anymore (original had 2). The standpipe arrangement is very clean and even easy to disassemble with minimal hose loss if it ever came to that. The other problem that I solved was that my old plumbing hoses blocked the water heater (Tom and I exchanged pics on that one. Now the access to the shelf is unobstructed. I was thinking of putting a starter battery there but that is not going to happen until next year. I'm done with the hard work! (BTW, the rest? New pulpit, new rubrails, restore cove stripe, gelcoat damage...in addition to the fire nonsense, the LINK10, the breaker... It required the spirit of the Vikings to keep going! ;)