E34 Halyards

Richard Elliott

Member III
Our 1989 E34 has a new StaSet X main halyard by rigger Brian Toss and an old wire with rope tail jib halyard. On the Kenyon mast there are extra exit holes on each side of the mast, apparently with messenger lines tied off. Are there extra sheaves at the masthead for these? I'm considering adding an assymetrical cruising spinnaker.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
We had an empty exit hole on the side of the mast, so I dropped a small weighted messenger (400lb fishing line) down from an empty sheave at the top and it came out the empty hole. It was lined.

Grab a bosun's chair and go for it.

Richard Elliott said:
Our 1989 E34 has a new StaSet X main halyard by rigger Brian Toss and an old wire with rope tail jib halyard. On the Kenyon mast there are extra exit holes on each side of the mast, apparently with messenger lines tied off. Are there extra sheaves at the masthead for these? I'm considering adding an assymetrical cruising spinnaker.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I saw a great tip in a sailing mag about running a new messenger line. Tie a steel light-pull chain to a small line, drop it down the mast head and use one of automotive magnets on a stick to retrieve in through the sheave exit.