e34-2 anchor rode -- chain length?

phildogginit

Member II
I am planning to upgrade my anchor rode and I'm wondering what is working for other e34 owners in the PNW.

I currently have a 25 lb cqr with 30 feet of 3/8" chain, 250 ' of 3/4" nylon with a Simpson-Lawrence Anchorman windlass with a RC172 gypsy. I'm planning to add more chain --probably 150 feet of 5/16" BBB (the gypsy can do 3/8 or 5/16).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Phil

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
That's a big change, going from 30' to 150' of chain, even if you reduce the size from 3/8 to 5/16. Is there a particular reason, like a change in cruising plans?
While the weight of chain does make anchoring more secure, I recall a friend's difficulty when his windlass malfunctioned, so he had to raise his 35 lb. CQR and 125 feet of chain manually. He was over 70 years old, and needed our help to raise his anchor.
I've been tempted to add more chain, but have hesitated as I single hand alot, and don't want to be stuck at anchor.
Just something to consider....
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We anchor primarily in sand & mud. We went with the old 'rule of thumb' and use (approx) our DWL in length of chain. Then there is 250' of nylon three strand. Stock anchor is a Danforth 13S or a 12H. No windlass. But then our boat displaces a bit under 11K. That's a lot less than an E-34-2.
More rocky bottoms up in Puget Sound, so a different anchor might be specified.

Teranodon

Member III
I'm a big fan of chain, based on several blue water experiences with very knowledgeable skippers. So I use a bunch on my 34-2. It keeps the 30lb Rocna on the bottom and it resists sharp rocks and shells. I have 125' of 1/4" [sic] BBB, plus 150' of Yale "Brait", which folds down flatter than 3-strand (you can see it in the photo). Also, a chain stopper and a chain hook. The Maxwell gypsy accommodates chain and line. The windlass can be operated manually with a modified winch handle, so maybe I wouldn't have to destroy my back if it crapped out. My DIY well is deep enough, so I've never had any pile up/jamming. One of the problems with chain is that it puts the boat down by the bow. Last season, I removed 25' which helped a bit. I always carry 20 gals of fresh water in the back of the Qberth (my "garage") and I don't keep heavy stuff in the forepeak, or use that water tank. I'm pretty happy with this arrangement, but I understand that others might think it excessive, especially if they race their boats (which I do occasionally). Rode is one of those "different strokes" things....

Painted chain.jpg

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I am planning to upgrade my anchor rode and I'm wondering what is working for other e34 owners in the PNW.

I currently have a 25 lb cqr with 30 feet of 3/8" chain, 250 ' of 3/4" nylon with a Simpson-Lawrence Anchorman windlass with a RC172 gypsy. I'm planning to add more chain --probably 150 feet of 5/16" BBB (the gypsy can do 3/8 or 5/16).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Phil
Unless you anchor in coral I would think that's a lot of weight on the bow of your E34. I'd go with one "shot" or 90 feet of 5/16" myself, coupled with 250' or so of 5/8" nylon.