E333 How do I drop the rudder for cutless bearing replacement.

Blue Moon

Member I
Hi all,

I have to drop my rudder at haul out for cutless bearing and stuffing box replacement. The emergency tiller connection does not lead to the bolt, so I obviously have more disassembly to do, but I do not know where to start. This is a 1998 Pacific Seacraft model ericson 333. Thanks for any help.

e38 owner

Member III
start with the coupler

I have a 38 and have worked on a 32. You may not have to drop the rudder. It depends on if you can get the cutless out. We used a press so the shaft can stay in place. If you google it you can see the press. we got together with some friends and bought one. It is also possible to make one with some all thread, an old cutless and a couple of metal plates. Regarding the stuffing box the shaft needs to be moved back about the length of the stuffing box. There is some input from maine sail on this sight. The tricky part is the engine couplar. If that goes smooth the rest is not bad. Start with the coupler. Pyi has a two piece coupler if you need to replace it. Otherwise depending on what happens you may determine to have a new coupler fitted to a new or the existing shaft. If you are lucky you may be able to use your existing coupler and shaft. The key with the coupler is not to bend where the coupler attaches to the engine.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
When I replaced my prop with a Variprop, which then led to replacing the cutless bearing, it was just easier to also replace the prop shaft and coupling as well, and stuffing box hose too while we were at it. The process of pressing the shaft out bent the coupler, and then the shaft was scored under the bearing. It just wasn't worth the possiblity of putting it all back together and having to haul the boat again to fix a vibration from a bad shaft and coupler, or to have to have the scoring tear up a new cutless bearing. And of course just cutting the shaft and pulling it out made life so much simpler, which meant more time to do other things. I don't remember the cost of the coupler, but we got the shaft from Aquamet, and I remember it was pretty around two boat units.