E32 Mast Tiedown Rod

We are in the final stages of purchasing a 1989 E32-200. We've noticed that the mast on this boat has no tiedown rod leading from the mast to the partner. Does this model boat normally have a tiedown? If so, does anyone have a picture of the rod that they can fwd? Does anyone know of a source for replacement of such items? Right now we're assuming that this is a vital piece of missing gear.

Thanks,
Tom

clayton

Member III
E32 Mast Tiedown

On my '89 32-200 there is a 1/4 or 5/16 inch carriage bolt that attaches to the front of the mast and goes up through the metal mast collar on deck. When we bought the boat, I found a short turnbuckle assembly with a T-ball to fit the socket on the mast in the cabin, but could not find any where behind the headliner where it may have been attached. I recall seeing this setup in some photos of the 32-200 on Yachtworld a while back.

Clayton

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I believe the rod you're referring to is more of a DECK tie-down, than a MAST tie-down. It's designed to transfer upward loads exerted by halyards and reefing lines coming off the mast and going through turning blocks attached to the deck just aft of the mast. Without the rod, those loaded blocks will tend to distort the deck upwards around the mast.

If you have no turning blocks on deck (all halyards and reef lines terminate on the mast itself) then I don't believe there's any need for this rod. But if you do have lines led aft from the mast, then it's probably wise to replace it.

Nate

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Deck tie-down

You need this regardless of whether or not your halyards are led aft. When sailing the shrouds pull toward the center of the boat, reducing beam and causing the middle of the deck to rise. It's more of that physics stuff. :nerd:

I think that the E-32-200 is similar to my E-34. The tang at the top of the turnbuckle is through bolted to the deck.

Attachments

• Xanthus interior 007D.jpg
    Xanthus interior 007D.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 148
E32 Tie Down Rod

Thanks to everyone for the info re: the tie down rod. My surveyor also weighed in on the issue saying that the FRP deck was strong enough w/o the tie down, but since it is in the E32 design is should be installed. I agree. The seller may have to fabricate one as the mast was replaced about 8 years ago. The PO sailed w/o this rod for ~5yrs w/ no sign of wear or damage.

thanks,
Tom