E32-3 Spinnaker Halyard

Mindscape

Member III
Does anyone have a picture of the masthead on an E32-3 that has a spinnaker halyard and the block for it? Mindscape was not rigged for a spinnaker originally and I'd like to figure out how to get a block on the mast head that will allow me to fly my cruising chute. Thanks for your help.

ref_123

Member III
Third halyard for E32-3

Hi there,

good question. When we spoke with UK Sails people, they said that a third shieve that standard 32-3 setup has can be used for a spinnaker halyard, but if we want a topping lift for a pole at the same time, we are out of luck :). On the other hand, their thought was that we will be able to use a crusing spinnaker without the pole, although it does limit downwind angles.

Regards,
Stanly & Tanya,
E32-3 "Fire Eater"

Mindscape

Member III
There are two sheaves at the top of the masthead, which are both above the sheave for the headsail (which has an exit just under the forestay attachment). I've got halyards up there and was planning on using one of them for my cruising chute but was concerned about what will happen when the chute is off to the side during a reach. The reality with the cruising chute is that it won't be dead down wind but on a reach which puts the sail off to one side or the other. With a block off of a bail on the masthead the head of the sail is free to rotate from side to side. With the sheaves it doesn't seem like this would be the case. On the other hand maybe this isn't a big deal with the cruising chute which I plan to use vs. a symetrical chute.
I'm planning to give it a shot with the halyard off the top of the masthead and see what happens.

Anyone with other ideas/thoughts let me know.