Guest viewing is limited

E32-3 Hurth 50 transmission lubricant

s/v First Light

The Hurth 50 transmission disc clutch on my 1987 Ericson 32 Mark 3 with Universal M25 auxiliary had recently begun slipping. Even though I have been using the Hurth recommended Type A automatic transmission fluid, somewhere in a boating blog post I read that Type F automatic transmission fluid has enhanced friction aspects and decided to give it a try. Granted that the old fluid level had been low and also well beyond recommended change interval but the clutch slippage issue, now with the Type F automatic transmission fluid installed, is totally gone and the transmission has returned to normal operation . . . at least for now.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I replaced my fluid with 30wt motor oil almost 2 years ago and it is still going strong! No slip at all. I know I may be pushing my luck. But I am willing to replace the transmission when/if it fails. In other words, I want to find out how long it will work. I think it is a great work around if you are stuck somewhere cruising with a slipping transmission and need to get by for a while.

s/v First Light

I replaced my fluid with 30wt motor oil almost 2 years ago and it is still going strong! No slip at all. I know I may be pushing my luck. But I am willing to replace the transmission when/if it fails. In other words, I want to find out how long it will work. I think it is a great work around if you are stuck somewhere cruising with a slipping transmission and need to get by for a while.
Was your Hurth 50 slipping before you changed to the 30wt and then had the slipping cured by the 30wt or did you change in order to have lubricant available wherever you might go?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Given the reputation of the old Hurth 50 for weakness and premature death, fortunate you are that there are a lot of threads on this site (and others) about suitable replacements. (If you decide to do that.)

Last edited: