E32-200 Ice Box Question

I'm an old sailor, but a new owner of a used & abused 1989 E32-200. We're committed to restoring this nice boat to it's previous beauty, so I'm gonna have lots of questions for this forum. My first is this.

The large E32 ice box has two air cylinders that relieve the weight of the top entry door. The PO disconnected these cylinders, apparently because they didn't allow sufficient travel for the top to open fully. The top, being also the nav table, is heavy difficult to hold open while rummaging around looking for food w/o the cylinders connected and taking weight off the door. With the cylinders the door does not open wide enough for convenient rummaging.

My questions is this. has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? The first mate has put a priority on solving this one.

This is question #1. Many more to follow.

Thanks,
Tom

clayton

Member III
E32-200 Ice Box

Tom -
I replaced the 2 rusty lid supports for my icebox with 1 new I found at a local store. I used 1 because 2 wouldn't let the lid close. West Marine has them on p.542 in the catalog, listed as "Replacement Gas Shocks for Dock Boxes", I'm sure Defender has them or maybe somebody local. I can check the length for you tomorrow (Sunday), but I'm sure the original mounting locations are visible and you can measure pretty close to what you need for the compressed length and open length.
Clayton

Gas Shocks

Thanks Clayton...

My shocks travel from 10.5" to 16.5", a 6" travel. One of them broke off yesterday after I mounted it, so I'll be replacing it. This poor ol' boat... I'm thinking of moving the attachment point toward the rear by a couple of inches. This might increase travel and reduce the "overpower" of the two shocks.

Thanks forthe info.

Tom

Emerald

It might also be worth checking the local discount auto-parts store. These sound like a standard strut you find on rear deck lids.

Brian K

Member III
I have a 1988 32-200 and I am also very interested in replacing my locking spring support (I don't know what they are really called) with either 1 centered or 2 (one on either side) gas strut supports. Many of the automotive supports are too strong for this application. If anyone comes up with a suitable strut and can identify a part number or supplier, that would be great. Thanks!

Ed Congdon

I had the same problem on my 1990 32-200 I got the parts from Go 2 Marine.com part# 90631 Anautalift gas lid support GS62710 $30 each. Good luck

Update on icebox repair

Thanks to everyone who contributed their ideas.

I ended up moving the attachment points for the two cylinders back, (outboard) about 1.5", (one set of screw holes), and what a difference it made. The top opens wider, and the two original cylinders hold the box open easily even with the nav table full of junk. More substantial pan-head attachment screws helped also.

Most importantly... the 1st mate is happy.

Tom

:egrin: