E30+ mainsheet system upgrade...

jacksonkev

Member III
My mainsheet is a bit more than mid boom, but closer to that than to end sheeted. I would say it is about 2/3.

Yes it was a large workout to either sheet or to bring the traveler up when going to windward, if I could do them at all. Both are better now with these improvements.

Out of curiousity...did you go with a windward sheeting traveler car?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
No. I have never upgraded my old, original Shaeffer car & track. All I did was replace a pair of blocks so as to be able to better move the old traveler.

Windward sheeting looks great, though. Someday.

jacksonkev

Member III
Update...

I'm still contemplating upgrading my mainsheet system, traveller (not really, I think I'll stick with the original 3:1 (1 1/4") Kenyon traveller for now) and adding a backstay adjuster on my Ericson 30+.

I have a couple questions...

My (2) boom bails are attached fairly far aft (as seen in my original post on this thread) but my main sail is large enough to consider a 6:1 upgrade over the original 4:1 fiddle and (2) single blocks. I thought about adding a fine-tune but honestly, I don't race and I'd like to keep things fairly simple. After searching around the internet, I'm thinking about a system similar to this Antal (without the $700 price tag)...

image.jpeg

Can anyone think of why I couldn't make up this mainsheet system using Harken Carbo Air or Lewmar HXT block and tackle (especially if I installed a spring standup kit on the bottom block)?

Also, I bought a brand new Schaefer Series 5 fiddle on eBay for $21.50 :egrin:. So, I'm planning on using my old Schaefer Series 5 mainsheet as the block and tackle for a 4:1 backstay adjuster similar to this setup...

image.gif

My question(s)...

Does anyone have experience with backstay adjusters especially using a C S Johnson backstay car (see below) or the wire block and ring system as with the above? Any strong opinions about which one works better?

image.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:

eknebel

Member III
two speed mainsheet

The best upgrade I have done to my 30+ is to replace the traveler and mainsheet hardware. I am ecstatic with the 4:1/16:1 two speed mainsheet, with a harken hi rise traveler, using a 1/4" teak strip to raise it enough out of the groove in the deck, using a 4:1 purchase on the traveler. I used the harken mid sized hardware listed on the website. the 16:1 allows even my wife to trim and release the main, even in 20+knots. it is a major safety improvement, allowing for proper mainsail control. In a gust, you can release the 16:1, and it will be limited by the blocks in the mainsheet system. it seems just about perfect, easing the power, yet not allowing the main to totally luff. I later added the windward sheeting car, running the control lines thru the cockpit coamings back by the wheel.

jacksonkev

Member III
The best upgrade I have done to my 30+ is to replace the traveler and mainsheet hardware. I am ecstatic with the 4:1/16:1 two speed mainsheet, with a harken hi rise traveler, using a 1/4" teak strip to raise it enough out of the groove in the deck, using a 4:1 purchase on the traveler. I used the harken mid sized hardware listed on the website. the 16:1 allows even my wife to trim and release the main, even in 20+knots. it is a major safety improvement, allowing for proper mainsail control. In a gust, you can release the 16:1, and it will be limited by the blocks in the mainsheet system. it seems just about perfect, easing the power, yet not allowing the main to totally luff. I later added the windward sheeting car, running the control lines thru the cockpit coamings back by the wheel.

Thanks! Great info.

Re:traveler...I am surprised that you needed the 1/4 teak batten. Did you buy the high-beam variable hole spacing (with slide bolts) track? And still not enough clearance? Was the install pretty straightforward?

eknebel

Member III
measurments of teak thickness

I went and measured, it is actually a standard strip of Teak 1/2 inch thick, the track is 1 5/8 tall, with the variable holes for mounting. this mid size hi rise track is rated to be not supported entirely, so there is no teak or mounting bolts in the middle between the seats. The base of the track to the part of the car that has to clear the seats is 1 1/8 inch. The depth of the groove in the fiberglass seat is 1 1/4 inches. This setup allows 3/8 inch clearance between lower edge of car and seat. the photo has a perspective that isn't straight on, and the measurements are the best I could do with measuring tape and bifocals.

attachment.php

in the lower picture you can see the red windward sheeting car line feeding into the cockpit coaming, which exits by the wheel, allowing control from behind the wheel, or in front of wheel. the original non windward sheeting car hardware is still in there, thus the un-needed cam cleat, which is sometimes still useful, especially with crew butt cleating the other end by the wheel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• two speed setup with windward sheeting into coaming.jpg
    two speed setup with windward sheeting into coaming.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 269
  • space between car and seat.jpg
    space between car and seat.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 289

eknebel

Member III
ease of install

P.s. Yes it was straightforward, and I got a good deal on the hardware, so the harken markup wasn't painful. the windward sheeting car was added later, cutting holes in the coaming was scary, but was aided by the access plates under the winches.

jacksonkev

Member III
I went and measured, it is actually a standard strip of Teak 1/2 inch thick, the track is 1 5/8 tall, with the variable holes for mounting. this mid size hi rise track is rated to be not supported entirely, so there is no teak or mounting bolts in the middle between the seats. The base of the track to the part of the car that has to clear the seats is 1 1/8 inch. The depth of the groove in the fiberglass seat is 1 1/4 inches. This setup allows 3/8 inch clearance between lower edge of car and seat. the photo has a perspective that isn't straight on, and the measurements are the best I could do with measuring tape and bifocals.

Wow! Looks awesome...I have some serious mainsheet/traveler upgrade envy. I'm going to add a ratcheting 4:1/16:1 mainsheet system using 75mm CarboAir blocks. I'm going to tinker around with the traveler (measure twice, cut once...) then pull the trigger over the winter.

Thanks again for the advice and pics.

eknebel

Member III
You are welcome! Where you are located I think a good mainsail control system would really help keep boat speed up and drama down

jacksonkev

Member III
You are welcome! Where you are located I think a good mainsail control system would really help keep boat speed up and drama down

Totally agree...I'm tackling 1 thing at a time. My thought is to first replace the mainsheet system with a brand new Harken system, add a backstay adjuster, then add a cunningham, monkey with/re-do the outhaul, then lastly swap the traveler. I took apart, cleaned, lubed my current 3:1 Kenyon traveler and it is serviceable. It does everything I need it to do (but it isn't the most efficient way of getting there...who in their right mind ever designed a traveler with those teeny, tiny blocks?).

Anyway, there's always a list....there's always a list....

Here's my setup...

attachment.php

Hanktoo

Member III
Echo Guy's sentiment. I swapped out the original useless traveler and replaced it with Garhauer. They were great to work with and the price was reasonable especially for the quality or the product.

woolamaloo

Member III
I'm with the Garhauer fans. A PO upgraded my traveler to a Garhauer system long enough ago that I intend to change the lines this off season. It works great and my 5' wife was able to center up the boom in a good breeze with no trouble. I just installed a Garhauer rigid boom vang which even my rigger - a Harken dealer - said was superior and cheaper than Harken's. Top notch gear. Give them a look.

jacksonkev

Member III
Echo Guy's sentiment. I swapped out the original useless traveler and replaced it with Garhauer. They were great to work with and the price was reasonable especially for the quality or the product.

Yeah, I've looked at them as well. Which traveler did you install? Do you have any pics?

I like the on-car control cleats on my current traveler. I didn't see any options on Garhauer's site.

jacksonkev

Member III
I'm with the Garhauer fans. A PO upgraded my traveler to a Garhauer system long enough ago that I intend to change the lines this off season. It works great and my 5' wife was able to center up the boom in a good breeze with no trouble. I just installed a Garhauer rigid boom vang which even my rigger - a Harken dealer - said was superior and cheaper than Harken's. Top notch gear. Give them a look.

People seem to really like Garhauer (almost cultish)...

Which traveler did you have? Do you have any pics?

Hanktoo

Member III
I believe it is the MT-1 CT. Hopefully this picture works. Very happy with it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Traveler installed web.jpg
    Traveler installed web.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 226