E29 vs E35 mk II

Dwaynesjohnson

I am trying to decide between buying two boats. I am a novice (owned small sailboat years ago, and have taken basic keelboat course but that is about it). I plan on getting a dock on Lake Erie and hopefully improve my skills over the next 3-5 years so, enough (I hope) to do some costal cruising. I have read a far amount about the E35 mark II, the only "downside" on that boat is the Gas Atomic 4 that came standard (before 1973 I think), and it seems to sometimes be get a soft deck (that may be with a lot of boats). I haven't been able to find much on the E29 (1979), anyone have anything they could share with me about the E29 (or E35 mark ii) especially your opinion concerning blue water capabilities. Also, if you have any thoughts on why the E35 ii doesn't,to seem to be on anyone's top blue water boats? Since it won 2004 transpacific race I thought I would see it mentioned as a top blue water boat (cruising world did give it a great review). Thanks.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
So I'm wondering why you are looking at these two boats that are quite different, and haven't mentioned the E32s, E30, E34, etc., all of which are also very good boats (I'm a little biased towards the E30+ because we have one and love how it sails! :egrin:)

I've always heard that it's really important before buying a boat to determine carefully what key attributes you are wanting in size, layout, comforts below deck and significant equipment,etc. Also, primary use for the boat--in our case we feel a bit crowded a couple weeks per year when we have guests aboard our E30+ but the rest of the time the size is great, especially as I do a lot of single handing, so it doesn't make sense for us to buy a larger boat to address our space issues of those two weeks. As well, the larger the boat, the more expensive it is for moorage, equipment, sails, etc.

Have you tried going for a sail on these two (and other similar size) boats to see how they feel underway--people will often offer to take you for a day sail if you bring the refreshments.

I'm sure others will chime in with their views as well!

Frank

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the forum.

Those are both "big" boats, with associated maintenance and upgrading costs in money and time.

As a novice, you might consider a 23-25 footer, with a plan to move up in a few years after better establishing use and needs.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Quite a bit of difference in the two sizes of boats. You may also want to consider the availability of crew as well as your own physical ability to raise sails and winch sheets on the 35. I sail an E27 (similar to the E29) and find that I single hand even when the family is aboard. A sailing cliche I have heard is that the amount of time sailing is inversely proportional to the length of the boat. Larger boat- less sailing. While this may not be true for everyone. Compare the sheet (line) and winch sizes between the two boats. Also consider that the E29 can be sheeted in by hand and the E35 requires a winch. Sail size difference is huge. By the way, the E27 is my first boat - it's been a great boat to learn on. I also have no desire to own anything larger. Good luck on your choice. Either model Ericson is a great boat.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Are you looking at these two boats because they both happen to be on the market in your area?
One thing to consider is cost and availability of marina slips. 30-feet is a common cut-off between affordable and unobtainable, but it varies by location.

Dwaynesjohnson

Thanks for comments

I appreciate everyone's comments. The E29 (or smaller) seems to be the direction most of you are recommending. The E29 that I am considering has some features that I really like, headroom, 6'2" I believe...my wife is 6'0" and every time I start talking smaller that is her first question. This one has a diesel (Yanmar 12 hp) which I have read is a little safer than gas, and lastly, a little superficial, I know but I like the look of a Wheel tiller vs. tiller. Lastly, the boat is just a few miles by water to the place where I want to dock (and draft good for harbor).

Can anyone recommend a surveyor they like in the port Clinton/Huron, OH area they could recommend?

Dwaynesjohnson

Reply to toddster

The e29 is very close and will just require to be sailed a few miles
but the E35-ii requires to be shipped cross country (and has been salt water boat, e29 has been fresh water) ends up being over double the cost of the e29. I have looked into boat docks the cost for the slip is approx. $750 and to store over winter is of course a consideration, it isn't my primary concern though I really am just looking for the good boat, that I feel safe on the Great Lakes and doesn't break the bank with repairs (I know there will be some, just trying to avoid major repairs)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note further that the E-29 in question was said to be a '79. I believe that it would be one of the last ones built. After almost a decade of production there will be a lot of undocumented changes and upgrades to that design - and that's a good thing. Also, good chance that the '79 has the teak interior, which I would prefer to the earlier mahogany version (purely subjective.....)
Matter of fact in '79 there was probably some production overlap with that boat and the new 30-2 that they built that year.

Loren

ps: is this the one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Ericson-29-2496156/Huron/OH/United-States#.UuBYjSittGE

Looks like a YSM or YSB Yanmar series. 8 or 12 hp? Very reliable engines, albeit not a current model. Friend of mine has the YSM12 in a 33 foot boat and it's a fine powerplant.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I own a 1978 E29 and love it, great size for a few days with two couples and a great part time live aboard. She sails well and I feel she is plenty strong for near coastal sailing. E29's have been sailed around the world. I am considering getting another boat for the Florida panhandle, probably Pensacola area and if I decide to buy I will probably look for another e29. Why not have 2 E29's I have 2 Mirage 236's for club race boats.

steven

Sustaining Member
Both are great boats (I worked for an Ericson dealer in the mid '70s and sold, taught sailing in, and raced both models on SF Bay). The E32-2 from the same era is also worth looking at - it is essentially an E35-2 with 3 feet cut off. Handling is very similar but just a bit easier, usually priced lower, and less maintenance.

Really fun boats. Great value for the $$ if you can find one in reasonable condition.

cduer

I am trying to decide between buying two boats. I am a novice (owned small sailboat years ago, and have taken basic keelboat course but that is about it). I plan on getting a dock on Lake Erie and hopefully improve my skills over the next 3-5 years so, enough (I hope) to do some costal cruising. I have read a far amount about the E35 mark II, the only "downside" on that boat is the Gas Atomic 4 that came standard (before 1973 I think), and it seems to sometimes be get a soft deck (that may be with a lot of boats). I haven't been able to find much on the E29 (1979), anyone have anything they could share with me about the E29 (or E35 mark ii) especially your opinion concerning blue water capabilities. Also, if you have any thoughts on why the E35 ii doesn't,to seem to be on anyone's top blue water boats? Since it won 2004 transpacific race I thought I would see it mentioned as a top blue water boat (cruising world did give it a great review). Thanks.

We have been sailing our 35-2 on Lake Erie out of Fairport Harbor for 20 years. We looked at the 29, which is still on the hard in Fairport, before we bought the 35. I've been very happy with our 1972 boat with the Atomic 4 engine. There are obvious safety issues with gasoline but with proper maintenance and care it is a very reliable engine. We moved from our first boat, a Bristol 22 to the 35. The first year was a little overwhelming with the size change but once over that we never looked back. Single handing is quite possible on the 35-2 and a crew of 2 is very doable.
All boats in that era will obviously need maintenance and up-grading but the work is well worth it. Depending on what type of sailing you will be doing will determine the size choice. Lake Erie can come up with some large waves and short wave lengths and our 35-2 has always brought us home safely and comfortably. Look us up if you have any questions. WindShadow Hull#0229 Grand River Marine greatlakesboatworks@gmail.com

PDX

Member III

This isn't meant as a criticism of the factory E35-2, but the boat that won that 2004 Transpac was far from factory. There was a blog somewhere on the internet about it. The guy's name was MacFarlane. From memory, he removed the wheel rudder system and replaced it with a beefed up tiller, replaced the standing rigging supporting bulkheads, replaced the salon furniture, gutted the V-berth and started over with furniture and tabbing that better supported the hull. I don't know that he made all these changes just to race in the Transpac. They may have been done as part of a gradual upgrade of the boat.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mods to 35-2

Blue water cruising and offshore racing are two different things. The boat you are referring to was tricked out so it can be pushed to the limit 24/7 for 2200+ miles without any structural problems-most of these (while many are very good ideas) would not be needed for a cruiser. A rudder mod, bigger cockpit drains, mast step reinforcement and a beefed up main hatch assembly would be the main things I would focus on (and making sure everything else, including sails and rigging are in top notch shape) would my my suggestions for real offshore cruising. BTW- these would be recommended things for almost ANY production sailboat in this class. You will need to do things like increase your electrical capacity, install a really good autopilot, water maker, etc., but again this would apply to any production boat.

For what it's worth!:)

Dwaynesjohnson

Purchased a E30+

Frank,

I took your advice and was able to find a very well kept E30+. Needs a little maintenace but is in good shape overall. I think the size will be right, the more I thought about it the Mark II seemed a little large and wider E30+ seemed like a good fit for our family. Thanks for your input.