e29 fuel leak?

thomthod

Member II
So we had a race Saturday and I ended up with about 2+ gallons of diesel fuel under my engine. I syphoned it out along with about a gallon in the area where the stuffing box is. I recently took out the tank to clean it, and I think somehow the lines drained into the stuffing box area and when we heeled on Saturday it dumped into the area under the engine.

After I cleaned it all out I ran the engine in gear for 20 minutes and no fuel which reinforces my taking out the tank theory. I checked all the lines even for cracks and nothing. I know my racor is snug as well as the filter on the engine. So what to do what to do?

T

Blooz Traveler
71 E29:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've been aboard an E-29, but could not describe the fuel system without Cliff's Notes...
:nerd:
One thing to check for on any boat where spilled fuel appears after a good sail with some heeling and bouncing around is the top portion of the tank.

Check the fill hose connection for proper double-clamp connections and hose integrity. Then the small return hose and it's clamp. If there is a small plate where an old mechanical gauge is installed on the top, check that.
Gasket for a clean out port (if installed): same comment.
Also check on the fill hose connection to the deck fill fitting.

Just putting in a SWAG or two... based on years of wandering around the innards of boats....

Best,
Loren