E28 12volt Panel Battery Switch

Rick Harris

The black plastic knob on the panel that selects Batt 1 or Batt 2 or both batteries has disintegrated. I tried Custom Marine Services but they can't help so I am currently resigned to turning the protruding switch spigot with a pair of pliars. Anyone know where I can get a replacement, please? I have made a sketch and scanned it to a PDF file if it will help someone find one for me. Boat built in 1981.

Attachments

• batteryswitchknob.pdf
    102.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What with those older 1-2-all switches increasingly being replaced by the newer panel scheme using two separate switches and an emergency combiner, this might be a sign from Father Neptune that you should consider an upgrade, also.
Plan B would be buy a used replacement switch -- swap meet, Craig's list, or similar...
Watch out for switches that have been subject to over-current episodes and and have bulged plastic on the back or any other signs of damage.

Best,
Loren

ps: here, among other related threads on this site, is a long thread that discusses master switches and related stuff.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2158&highlight=combiner

Last edited:

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I'm need the exact same switch. Loren what are these "newer panel scheme using two separate switches and an emergency combiner" - have a link to one?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Switch stuff...

I'm need the exact same switch. Loren what are these "newer panel scheme using two separate switches and an emergency combiner" - have a link to one?

Take a look at reply #35 in the thread I mentioned above.

That's the panel we bought. I believe that there are other newer versions that even include a separate breaker for your always-should-be-on bilge pump....

Loren

Glyn Judson

Replacing your battery switch.

Jason, Several years ago I upgraded my original switch like yours to a Blue Sea model as mentioned by Loren. Although my switch is not shown on their site, it looks something like the one in the left as seen here: http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/6 Upgrade and go sailing. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA