E27 Rubber Muffler (?) Near Transom

rgoff

Member III
What is the rubber thingee that is in wet exhaust line just before the exit opening in the transom?

I looked in the West Marine catalog and can't find anything like it. I just replaced my entire exhaust system (again), except for this thing. Since it's 32 years old, I'm wondering what it does and does it wear out?

It doesn't leak yet.

Thanks,

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Ralph - any chance you can show us a picture? A $40 Wal Mart digital camera can be a good investment for questions like that one.
Gareth

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Ralph are you referring to the water lift? Is it a box that the 1 1/2" or so diameter exhaust hose goes into then comes out of and runs to the outlet? Could also maybe be some sort of a siphon breaker to prevent water from backing up into the engine when sailing in big following seas or when the exhaust outlet is below the waterline.

Attachments

• vernalift_muffler_f.jpg
    vernalift_muffler_f.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 133

u079721

Contributing Partner
Siphon break

Based on what was mounted on my E-38, I am guessing that what you are talking about is Ericson's version of a siphon break for the exhaust riser - at least that is the answer I once got from Don Kohlman over the phone.

HGSail

Member III
David

This is a pic of the old muffler. This weekend I will take some of the new one.
This is the original Muffler installed by Ericson. The one that you would get from Pacific Seacraft is slightly smaller in diameter. I will have the pics of the new Muffler posted on Tuesday (my sunday).

Pat
E-29
Holyu Guacamole

Attachments

• Hg Muffler Old 102504  003aa.jpg
    Hg Muffler Old 102504 003aa.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

rgoff

Member III
It's not a water lift or heat riser. Siphon breaker is sounding right.

I'll try and take a pix tomorrow.

Thanks,