E27 - no sink in head

Drummer Man

Does anyone know why there is no sink for the head in 1976 E27 Sloop? Can one be added? It's a very important concern for "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am not sure about the Ericson 27 but many boats this size had a vanity as an option. It was on my Pearson 28. To be honest, we have one in our 35 and never use it. It is too small and you cannot get your hands under the faucet.
As far as adding one, anything can be done if thought out and engineered correctly.

stuartm80127

Member II
E27 Sink in Head

My 76 E27 doesn't have one but I have seen E27s that do. I believe that with the builder-provided option, the thru-hull would be placed just aft of the bulkhead on the Stbd side. I thought about mine for a second or so and didn't want another hole in the hull and I really like the extra storage space. Then agian, about as close as my wife gets to the boat is complaining about the bills ;).

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You do not need another hole in the hull. My 35 shares a thru hull with the head intake. The down side is noisy flushing which I resolved by installing a valve under the sink drain.

rgoff

Member III
My '73 E27 has a sink and cabinet/counter. The drain from the sink goes to the outlet thru hull for the head. I put a check valve in the drain line to the sink to prevent icky "back flow". :)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
No Sink in the head on my E-27. Don't want or need one, or another thru hull. It would also require more hoses from my dinky 18 gallon fresh water tank.

It's only about 5 steps to the galley sink on the E-27. ;)

Yes I believe it was a option.

dc27

have boat, need time
No Sink in the head on my E-27. Don't want or need one, or another thru hull. It would also require more hoses from my dinky 18 gallon fresh water tank.
It's only about 5 steps to the galley sink on the E-27. ;)

the head on my 1978 E27 has a small sink, but the faucet doesn't work. in the 14 months i've owned the boat, i haven't bothered to figure out why, so that probably says something about its usefulness. as Jeff observes, it's just two long strides to the other sink.

honestly, i'd rather have the space for more storage, which *would* be useful.

sleather

Sustaining Member
K-i-s-s

Does anyone know why there is no sink for the head in 1976 E27 Sloop? Can one be added? It's a very important concern for "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

:egrin: You're referring to the Admiral?
Have her agree to trying out the "afore-mentioned" kitchen sink for "X" amount of time and if still in need you've got a "future" project. In the meantime keep a container of antibacterial Wet Ones hand wipes in the head. Disposed of in the "proper receptical"(do not flush) they will help freshen the head also.

Last edited:

Drummer Man

Da Lack of Da Sink in the 27'

Thanks for all the advice folks. This is the best site I have ever seen for make or brand of anything. STRONGLY influencing my decision on the 27' Ericson.

Drummer Man

dc27

have boat, need time
This is the best site I have ever seen for make or brand of anything. STRONGLY influencing my decision on the 27' Ericson.

Drummer Man

among the E27's other virtues is the fact that they made so many of them: 1,302, to be precise. so there are a lot of them still around, and consequently a lot of owners with very specific experience and knowledge to offer, a huge resource base from which to draw. that certainly influenced my decision to buy one.

rod sanburn

Member II
No Sink 74' E-27

My E-27 hull # 424 does not have a sink in the head. It does not show as a option on my March 1 1973 Ericson/27 Optional Equipment Price list. My OEM listing shows Famillain Sierra Craft 17711 East Railroad St. City of Industry, CA. 91748 714.990.1243. (8/15/1972) Rod