E27 lifelines

Tomi

Hello, new Ericson27 owner - Proud owner! so here's my first post... my boat does not have a stanchion for the lifelines at the beam (near the chainplates). The previous owner says that the lifelines should go outboard of the stays and just rest against the wire - is this standard on the 27? Is it safe, or should I install a stanchion on each side? Any advice appreciated!
Tom

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hello, new Ericson27 owner - Proud owner! so here's my first post... my boat does not have a stanchion for the lifelines at the beam (near the chainplates). The previous owner says that the lifelines should go outboard of the stays and just rest against the wire - is this standard on the 27? Is it safe, or should I install a stanchion on each side? Any advice appreciated!
Tom

The previous owner is correct. See my picture.

Attachments

• Life Lines.jpg
    Life Lines.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 224

Tomi

The previous owner is correct. See my picture.

Thanks Jeff, I can't see it that well, but I'll settle for a yes! Do you use the plastic sleeves on the shrouds or is the coated lifeline enough to prevent chafing? Is your lifeline outside all 3 or in between?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yes outside all three shrouds. Yes I have partial plastic sheaves on the shrouds as well. But that's just a personal preference. Not sure how much the protect the sail fro chafe. I have been told that you can get corrosion under the plastic sheaves, so I keep them a few inches above the turnbuckles. I also slide them up and wipe down the shrouds underneath them every once in a while.

Welcome to the Group btw!

Not sure if you do Facebook or not, but there is a Ericson 27 Owners page that I moderate. Please feel to join us if you want. Lot's of photos of E-27's there. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/140381866955/

Last edited:

Rob Salinas

Member II
Tomi Welcome! My lifelines run between my inner and outer stays, that's just how it was when I bought Her. I have plastic sleeves the forward two shrouds only. Here are a couple of pics

Attachments

• Sailing 020.jpg
    Sailing 020.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Sailing.jpg
    Sailing.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 57

MMLOGAN

Member III
Life lines

Tom,

We replaced life lines last fall. Per our surveyors suggestion we went with raw stainless. According to the surveyor the coated wire allow moisture to collect and can contribute to failure. Just an FYI if you are considering changing your life lines.

Welcome to the group.

Matt
Wind Chaser E35-3 #187