E27 genoa cars

Wjrosen

Hi Folks,
I have recently come in possession of a 1974 E27. The boat was missing the genoa cars when I got it. I am looking for recommendations on the type of cars that work best for this track. I found a used set of Garhauer stainless cars but there was not enough clearance and the cars hung up on any screw head that was not below or perfectly flush with the track. What genoa cars are most people running on the E27 1” track?
Thanks,
Walter

I'm a casual day sailor and have never needed to change/fix genoa cars before (aka assuming mine are stock) but will take a look in the next few days. Is there any extra information you'd be interested such as dimensions - or just a hardware manufacturer

Wjrosen

I'm a casual day sailor and have never needed to change/fix genoa cars before (aka assuming mine are stock) but will take a look in the next few days. Is there any extra information you'd be interested such as dimensions - or just a hardware manufacturer
Thanks - any information would be helpful including dimensions. Ideally, a picture would be great.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many choices, I think, for your 25mm track. You probably need a car with single lead and stand-up block (sized to your genoa sheets). Note the securing method, most track have holes in them into which a pin snaps to hold the block at its location.

If there are track screw heads not flush, that might be a problem with any car. If they can't be adjusted flush, consider grinding the heads down for clearance. It;s often difficult to tighten track screws if the nuts are installed in awkward places under the decks.

At random, here's such a car from Nautos.

1-Genoa-Car-blog-350x350_large.jpg

Wjrosen

Many choices, I think, for your 25mm track. You probably need a car with single lead and stand-up block (sized to your genoa sheets). Note the securing method, most track have holes in them into which a pin snaps to hold the block at its location.

If there are track screw heads not flush, that might be a problem with any car. If they can't be adjusted flush, consider grinding the heads down for clearance. It;s often difficult to tighten track screws if the nuts are installed in awkward places under the decks.

At random, here's such a car from Nautos.

View attachment 48818
Thanks Christian, I will check to see if there is any way to tighten down the screws. Worst case I will grind them down.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Screw heads should be below the level of the track. I have no idea why they would not be except someone loosened them?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Screw heads aside, there can also be dings or other damage to the rails that prevent the cars from sliding. I had to use my mini file set on a half dozen awkward areas to get the cars to slide freely.

Wasn't able to snag any quality photos but the genoa cars are Schaefer [1]- think most/all the hardware is from them. It doesn't appear the length of the car matters as much as the width, they are ~ 25mm width by about 75mm long. The set/detente pins are threaded rather than spring but that's probably a non-functional difference. The track hardware is all flat head and assume the holes are countersunk. The bolts/screws are flush to the top of the track - which seems like a critical piece for smooth sliding (there's not much/any vertical room on the car to clear otherwise).

Good luck!

[1]: these are comparable but more modern

Wjrosen

Thanks all for the feedback. I will take a closer look and see if I can figure out why the screw are not flush or below the track. I will also see about any dings and try to smooth out the track. Currently working on stuffing box and motor issues.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
why the screw are not flush or below the track.
I wouldn't try hammering the screw-heads. It's possible that some prior owner, at some point, replaced some of the screws, and may have used fasteners with a slightly different head. It happens.

So, try to tighten them, and if the heads still stand "proud" of the track, I'd pull one and compare it against a new one at a good (marine) hardware store to see if there are dimensional differences in the head.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Those should be through bolts with nuts that are most likely buried under/ behind/sandwiched in/etc. If you remove one you may not be able to reinstall. If possible check a couple that you have access to the nuts so you know you can get them back in :)

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Thanks all for the feedback. I will take a closer look and see if I can figure out why the screw are not flush or below the track. I will also see about any dings and try to smooth out the track. Currently working on stuffing box and motor issues.
This might be a really insulting question, and if so, I apologize. But are some of the screws oval-head?