E26 rubrail replacement & Stove specs

wings26

Hi there

I have a 1984 E 26 and am looking to replace a 6 foot section of the aluminum rubrail. Does anyone know where to source this material?

I am also looking to replace the stove as it is absent. Looking for a drop in unit does anyone know what stove was in this boat?

Thanks for any insight

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi there

I have a 1984 E 26 and am looking to replace a 6 foot section of the aluminum rubrail. Does anyone know where to source this material?

I am also looking to replace the stove as it is absent. Looking for a drop in unit does anyone know what stove was in this boat?

Thanks for any insight
Welcome! I also have a 1984 E26. Great boat.

Afraid I can't help you on a source for the rub rail. As for the stove: my boat had a Force 10 propane cook top when I bought it. Not sure whether it was factory or if a previous owner installed it. Although it worked just fine, the installation was certainly not up to ABYC code and I did not want to spent the time, money, and effort to make it so. Therefore, I removed the Force 10 and installed a 2-burner Origo-style alcohol stove. I am very happy with it and installation was trivial.

Don Smith

Member II
Hi there

Thanks for any insight

I own a 1985 E26 and about 20 years ago had damaged fiberglass and rubrail. It was an insurance job and the boatyard was able to locate new rubrail, which apparently is a stock item sold by the foot. You'll probably want to replace the entire length of rubrail on the side damaged. The boat repair yard is probably your best source of info as to where to get rubrail stock.

My boat had the original alcohol stove top when I bought the boat used. It was in good shape, apparently seldom if ever used. However, my wife refused to use it having heard of flash fires caused by the alcohol fuel. Instead, when we went on overnight trips she'd bring a compact one-burner portable butane stove, which worked fine. My recommendation is that you do the same. Eventually I removed the alcohol stove and had a cutting board made of strips of hardwood to cover the stove opening. I built a wood storage area below the stove opening which has proved useful. The cutting board acts as the lid for the storage area.

I still have the stove stored somewhere in my garage. If you're set on having an alcohol stove, email me at jumpy48@aol.com and maybe we can work a deal.

Captain Don
Gitana - E26

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I own a 1985 E26 and about 20 years ago had damaged fiberglass and rubrail. It was an insurance job and the boatyard was able to locate new rubrail, which apparently is a stock item sold by the foot. You'll probably want to replace the entire length of rubrail on the side damaged. The boat repair yard is probably your best source of info as to where to get rubrail stock.

My boat had the original alcohol stove top when I bought the boat used. It was in good shape, apparently seldom if ever used. However, my wife refused to use it having heard of flash fires caused by the alcohol fuel. Instead, when we went on overnight trips she'd bring a compact one-burner portable butane stove, which worked fine. My recommendation is that you do the same. Eventually I removed the alcohol stove and had a cutting board made of strips of hardwood to cover the stove opening. I built a wood storage area below the stove opening which has proved useful. The cutting board acts as the lid for the storage area.

I still have the stove stored somewhere in my garage. If you're set on having an alcohol stove, email me at jumpy48@aol.com and maybe we can work a deal.

Captain Don
Gitana - E26
The older pressurized alcohol stoves are indeed potentially dangerous, but not because of the alcohol fuel per se. The non-pressuized Origo-type stoves are as safe a cooking option as you can get on a boat--safer than propane or butane, which are both heavier than air. And an alcohol fire, should you ever have one, can be put out with water. But honestly, you'd have to try pretty hard to set your boat on fire with a non-pressurized Origo stove. The pressurized ones, though, can certainly be flare bombs.

Admittedly, those little one burner butane "chafing" stoves do work quite well, and if you can find a Korean grocery store you can buy the canisters for about $1.00 each, vs. $5 or $6 at WestMarine! The stoves themselves can be obtained for only around $20 at the same stores. (There is a Korean grocery store not far from me that carries the stoves and fuel. We keep such a stove around the house for emergency use.) But again, the butane is heavier than air and so if you do go the butane stove route it would be best not to store those canisters below.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It was an insurance job and the boatyard was able to locate new rubrail

True 20 years ago, but no longer.

Glyn Judson

Stove replacement.

To add to what Alan said and to repeat myself here, a close friend removed his old pressurized alcohol stove and replaced it with a nicely crafted teak(?) plank that sometimes acted as a cutting board and by flipping it over, was one of those single burner butane stoves. He simply screwed the four feet to the teak and when not in use, its out of sight yet ready in an instant by simply flipping it over. Quite a clever and highly functional solution if you ask me and quite affordable. Hey, go hog wild if you wish and mount two of them if they'll fit. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA