E26-2 : anchor roller

dandimm

Member II
Here is the type of anchor lock I have that works very well with 15 kg Rocna. Your 26's bow may not have the space for such hardware.

Instead of deploying and retrieving the anchor and rode under the roller furling drum and the foremost bow stanchion, use the space between the 1st and 2nd bow stanchions but route the anchor rode through the anchor roller and secure at the bow cleat. I had to do that on a Sabre 28 which comes from factory without a bow roller.
Thanks, yes as you guessed, no room for the hardware...

I will try your first and second stanchions suggestion.

I still need to come up with a more permanent solution that my passengers or girlfriend can easily drop the anchor.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Would you mind providing a link to an example of an anchor tie down hardware?
I tie a square knot in a loop of 1/4" line between the anchor shackle and the bow cleat (or a bow stanchion). No holes to drill, nothing to scratch the deck.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My solution involves keeping the chain around a stanchion and storing the anchor in the well (modified to remove the shallow leaking pan). It’s a bit of a pain to remove the anchor and place it on the roller when getting ready to anchor but it works so I haven’t felt the need to deal with it. BTW a former owner left me with 60 feet of chain and 120 feet of 3 strand nylon. I have considered reducing the amount of chain but so far have not. Yes the weight in the bow is not ideal but I kind of like the security of it all.

1659383874262.jpeg
1659384264809.jpeg

dandimm

Member II
My solution involves keeping the chain around a stanchion and storing the anchor in the well (modified to remove the shallow leaking pan). It’s a bit of a pain to remove the anchor and place it on the roller when getting ready to anchor but it works so I haven’t felt the need to deal with it. BTW a former owner left me with 60 feet of chain and 120 feet of 3 strand nylon. I have considered reducing the amount of chain but so far have not. Yes the weight in the bow is not ideal but I kind of like the security of it all.

View attachment 43807
View attachment 43808
Thanks for the suggestions. This may be a temporary solution until I figure something out.

Will you please tell me what the shackle is used for on the anchor roller? I thought this was for the quick release pin or a bail mount?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The shackle is used to attach a block that the asymmetric spinnaker runs through. I haven’t yet created a better fitting for it.

dandimm

Member II
I messed around with the anchor and the roller last night and just could not come up with a satisfactory solution yet. I tried another danforth anchor from west marine that I had and still no happy with how unstable it is in the roller. I can also see the potential issue of the anchor shackle getting caught up if I add a bail to the roller.

Here are a few pix...
unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpg

dandimm

Member II
Took the advice of some other 30+ owners here and replaced the anchor with a 22# Lewmar claw that fit much better in the stock anchor roller. Was a bit of a challenge drilling out the hole for the quick release pin, but worked out well and very secure. Rigged the anchor as a break-away since I usually only day anchor and the bottom of the lake is full of trees and debris.
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg