E23 factory water tank location ?

Sven

Seglare
Our original E23-II mechanical blueprints show a 19 gallon fresh water tank option under the cockpit sole, just aft of the bulkhead.

I'm curious if that tank was glassed in ? I have trouble imagining how it could have been installed after the deck/cockpit was fitted. I think we'll probably install a tank under/behind the cockpit stairs, but my curiosity has definitely been tickled.

BTW, the prints I got from Pam King do not include mechanical details and I'm not positive that the mechanical blueprint I have is a stock print.

-Sven

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sven,
As with many production boats, the tanks were about the
first thing put in after the hull was popped out of the mold.
Then the pan/grid was glassed in making repair/replacement
difficult to say the least. Ericson had their own engineering
department and did their own systems drawings. Sadly,
most of these were lost during the liquidation sale.

Martin

Sven

Seglare
Hi Martin,

Originally posted by Martin King
Sven,
As with many production boats, the tanks were about the
first thing put in after the hull was popped out of the mold.
Then the pan/grid was glassed in making repair/replacement
difficult to say the least. Ericson had their own engineering
department and did their own systems drawings.

That's kind of what I figured. I suppose a flexible tank might take advantage of the space, but I'm not sure about using a flexible tank for potable water. It's still a fun
engineering problem to ponder.

Sadly,
most of these were lost during the liquidation sale.

Do you mean "lost" as in "turned over to a buyer" or lost as in "where did they go ?"

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Old boats and bladder problems...

Actually, if you are really considering a bladder type tank, this might be a good situation...
I see the biggest hassle being "chafe proofing" the whole area that you are installing the bladder into.
As to a possible leak someday, better for it to be fresh water... than fuel or... waste!

:)

Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Do you mean "lost" as in "turned over to a buyer" or lost as in "where did they go

No they were still in various filing cabinets that were
purchased by sombody and most likely trashed.

Personally, the only bladder type tank on my boat is
the "solar shower".

Martin

mdgann

'76 E23
water tank

Sven,
My E23 MK2 has a tank under the cockpit up against the bulkhead as you describe. I keep mine empty because of the weight it adds to the back of the boat. Mine is strapped in with 2 perforated metal straps, but it sits on a glassed in platform of plywood. I cannot remove it from the starboard side and have not been motivated enough to remove the panels to try to take it out on the port side. You may remember a thread I started last year about boat trim and weight location. I have emptied the tank and relocated the batteries forward in the middle compartment under the v-berth. This has helped with the pronounced buried stern trim of my E23. It now sits dead level at the dock and carful attention to body placement while sailing keeps it pretty even. I also like the easy battery access with them up forward. If I ever am able to get the tank out, you can have it, if you want it.