E23-2 bilge pump ?

Sven

Seglare
As far as I could tell, there really wasn't any access to the bilge through the cockpit sole, except just aft of the v-berth. There is a real bilge under the sole, right ?

I also don't remember seeing any manual bilge pump mounted in the cockpit sole or in the lazarettes.

There must be a bilge pump or allowances for one somewhere; a small automatic one and a manual gusher for real problems ? So where are they ?

Thanks,

-Sven

mdgann

'76 E23
bilge pump

Mine is just aft of the starboard lazarette, underneath the seat with an opening into the cockpit for the operating handle. It is a #10 whale gusher I believe. The pickup hose in mine is at least 1.5 inches in diameter and just lays in the bilge. I need to tie it down as when I wash out the interior and then pump the bilge, the hose tends to float around and the pump often loses it's prime.

richmcn

Member I
My bilge pump pickup starts in the depths of the bilge, and the hose goes forward like in the direction of the bow, underneath the v birth, then turns right and goes under the starboard settee, out throught the starboard locker to a permanently mounted manual pump near the top of the cockpit well perhaps a foot away from the stern.

The outlet from the pump is permanently mounted on the stern. It is a great pump, it works easily and pumps a lot of water. The boat is 50 miles from me, I don't the name of the pump, the hose is probably an inch and a half to two inches.

While there are a lot of boats with bilge pumps that empty into the cockpit and then drain through the floor drain(s) it isn't a currently recommended practice unless conditions are really mild.

You can sail it cautiously as is for a while to determine the extent of the improvements you want to make, just keep the lower hatchboard in and a bucket at the ready if things pipe up.

Rich
Neegee
E-23
Hammond

Sven

Seglare
Originally posted by richmcn
While there are a lot of boats with bilge pumps that empty into the cockpit and then drain through the floor drain(s) it isn't a currently recommended practice unless conditions are really mild.

Hi Rich,

After finding out that the E23 cockpit drains through a throughhull under the cockpit I couldn't agree more. If the water you are trying to pump out is due to a cockpit drain throughhull failure any pumping into the cockpit would be futile.

-Sven