E-92 Reach strut jig photos or diagram

rcundy1

E-29 Reach Strut/jib photos or diagram

I purchased a 1974 E-29 this winter. I have managed to restep the mast and get the main sail in the air. However, I cannot figure out how the jib and reach strut assembly are suposed to go together. I have looked at some other boats at my marina (most have rolling furlers) one has a reach strut assembly. The reach strut fastens to a swivel on the foredeck. My boat appears not to have any swivel on the fore deck. Now i'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Ron Cundy
1974 E-29
Hull # 128

Last edited by a moderator:

windjunkee

Member III
I'm not sure what you are referring to by a 'reaching strut'. We use a reaching strut on spinnaker runs when we're reaching hard and the afterguy is strapped along the stanchions. We put a small t-track on each side of the mast with a slider and mast ring on it. That way we can pole the afterguy out and get a better angle for pole adjustments and we take the pressure off the stanchions We can also use it for a whisker pole attachment point if we're racing non-spinnaker.

On the foredeck, we have our foreguy attachment, where we have a padeye with a block attached.

If you're asking about the reaching strut assembly, that part was easy. We just went to West Marine and bought some T-track, cut it in 3 foot sections, and then drilled and tapped the mast, goo'ed up the site and screwed the things in.

Hope this helps.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

JMS

Member II
As Jim said, a reaching strut is used when flying a spinnaker with the spinnaker pole forward.

Are you asking about rigging a (spinnaker or whisker) pole in combination with a jib or genoa to sail downwind?

Spinrigging.jpg

rcundy1

This is my first grown up boat. My previous sailling has been limited to sunfish and small cats. It appears that the part I am referring to is a "jib boom". The "reach strut" term I mistakenly took from my downloaded owners manual. This boat is like boxed things that require assembly...lots of extra pieces. I now understand (after reading about jibs on wikipedia) that its purpose is to make a jib self tacking for single handed sailing. Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion. I intend to hoist my jib this weekend.

Guy Stevens

Be Very Careful

Club Footed Jibs. (Jib Boom is something completely different in actual rigger speak, but the language is changing all the time, and as it is difficult to find a large enough traditional sailing craft to have a jiboom, the language is slowely sliding toward the club footed jib being called a jiboom. )

We try hard and I do mean hard to get our customers to get rid of club footed jibs whenever we can. The ease of use is more than made up for by the tendency to kill or sweep your crew overboard.

(This is called a Chesapeake Bay payoff when you do it on purpose.)

DUMP the club.

Guy
:)