E-29 standpipe muffler replacement

Ray Hughes

Member I
My 1971 E-29 has a bulkhead mounted standpipe exhaust system that tends to clog with salt build-up. Can this muffler be replaced with a water-lift system? If so, where should the water-lift muffler be located? Thanks for any ideas. --Ray Hughes.

valentor

Member II
Muffler replacement on E34

I am not familiar with the muffler on an E-29, but it seems that it may be similar to the one on an E34 with and Atomic 4. The muffler is a vertical cylinder approximately 3" in diameter and 24" tall. There is a 3/4" water inlet near the bottom and a 1.5" wet exhaust outlet near the top.

Mine broke earlier this year. Unable to find and off-the-shelf replacement, I changed the system to a fiberglass waterlift muffler. In the refit, I was able to relocate the muffler from the starboard lazerette to the center of the boat under the cockpit. This made it possible to store things in the lazerette without fear of heat damage from the muffler. Like the swim ladder, bucket, fender, and boat hook that I melted over the past several years.

The only issue I had with the installation was that with the new system, the cooling water and exhaust are mixed in the exhaust piping rather than in the riser. I learned quickly that if even a small amount of water is allowed to seep back into the exhaust manifold, the engine does not run. Re-routing the exhaust plumbing and hose so that it flows downhill to the waterlift muffler solved the problem.

The new system is MUCH quieter than the original muffler, and it will be much easier to lay-up for the winter since it has a drain at the low point.

-Steve Valentor

rgoff

Member III
My 1973 E27 with Atomic 4 has a vertical unit like Valentor described. I recently purchased a new one from Pacific Seacraft in Fullerton, CA (who bought Ericson years ago). A bit pricey, though. at $385. They show the same unit for an E29.

Here's the link:
http://www.pacificseacraft.com/part...y=enginecomp&catdesc=Engine+System+Components

The exhaust system has been the biggest problem I've had with my boat, which I've owned for 20 years. Either the riser or piping gets clogged up with rust/carbon/etc. and has to be replaced every 5 or 6 years.