E 29 owner experiences wanted

dpotter

Hi all... in the midst of thinking about E35's I came across an E29 at what appears to be a potentially pretty good price. Since the 35 was going to be a little bit of a stretch for me, I am thinking seriously about the 29. I would appreciate any comments/info on potential weak spots, sailing characteristics etc etc..

I hate to give up that pretty reverse transom though....

Thanks in advance

Dave G

Member II
I bought a 1971 E29 just about a year ago. Really have enjoyed the boat. At 30+ years old it shows it's age cosmetically in dings and nicks in the geal coat but it sails great! Handles a wide range of wind conditions. It is very well built.

Many people knock the Atomic 4 gas engine, but I am learning to like it. I have replaced fuel tank, carb and fuel pump. A lot of crud in there. I switched to an electic fuel pump. Since than I have been very pleased with the low noise, smooth running engine.

Not to knock other boats but a buddy bought a Cal 29 of the same vintage, the Ericson is far superior in construction and handling.

I have found no serious weaknesses that weren't easily fixable with some time and patience. All the issues I have found have been the result of poor maintenance and dumb previous ownersf. I am very pleased with the boat.

Good Luck,

Dave

jamescio

Member II
I purchased a 1972 Ericson 29 about three years ago. The boat was basically abandoned at a boat-yard. I previously had an Ericson 25+, and realized the quality of the boat. I was willing to invest a little time, money and sweat equity and now have one of the finest boats in the marina. The 29 offers nice room, a fairly decent layout, a stable strong boat ( I was caught in 8 foot waves in a storm). I would highly recomend the Ericson 29

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Sorry for the late reply, You more than likely have already bought your boat.... I bought my '73/ 29 about 8 years ago. After a year and a little bit of money, She was ready. And has given us many memerable experiences sailing around the upper Channel Islands of SoCal.

As for the Atomic 4. I have found it to an excellent engine for this boat, In fact I'm about to replace my engine after this summer and I will be keeping the A4.

:egrin:

Davis

E 29

Great Boat:
Our 1971 E 29 was purchased in 1976, & has given us almost 30 years of great sailing in the River & Atlantic.
The first owner added a Yacht Specialties Wheel Steering system which has worked flawlessly, the brake being it's best feature for my single handed sailing.
I added an 18 hp Deisel after the Atomic Four started to become unreliable.
Other than replaced sails, & upholstery the rest of the equipment is original.
Due to possible relocation, I am considering putting her up for sale.
Paul

Last edited: