Does your boat stink??

Howard Keiper

I've been doing some electrical work on several boats so far this season, and I've noticed that many, if not all, power or sail, smell bad...really bad.

If yours gets severe, buy (or rent) or make your own OZONE generator...and use it. Operate it for a few hours inside the cabin and ALL odors disappear like magic...mildew, diesel, resin, whatever. A boat that smells GOOD can do wonders for your efforts when showing it off.

Howard Keiper

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have heard that ozone can damage some boat parts--I don't recall which ones, but I think it was rubber gaskets or similar. It may be a good idea to check into this before using ozone; if not a problem, then o.k.
However, it may be more effective to spend time beforehand determining the cause of the smell, and fixing that.
Frank.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Pss

Theres a warning on PSS Shaft Seals about running OZone generators. I think its the type of rubber they use. Don't know how common it is.
-Cory

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We use the Cabin Aire ozone gernerator from Quantum Pure Air. We love it, but we try not to overuse it. They explain that ozone is a naturally-occurring oxygen-rich Oxygen molecule, with 3 oxygen atoms instead of the normal 2. Since oxidation requires Oxygen (hence the name!) more oxygen atoms means higher levels of oxidation may be found in Ozone-rich environments.
Check out this link....

http://www.quantumpureaire.com/about_ozone.phphttp://http://www.quantumpureaire.com/about_ozone.php

BTW, it does work as advertised.

chaco

Member III
Think Stink

When you think of where that funky smell is comming from :confused:
You have to ask yourself some basic questions :rolleyes:
Where is the Ice Box draining....Does the Shower Sump Pump work...
Are there Fuel Line leaks.....Does the Head System leak....
The PO allowed All of these Systems to leak in to the Bilge :devil:
Once fixed and flushed out with ZEP Orange Cleaner, my Bilge is fresh and
clean :D . Getting rid of the source is a good thing to consider.

Happy Fresh Bilge :egrin: :egrin:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
What works to remove oil residue from the bilge, I think at some point there was a serious oil leak or the A4 oil was dumped in the bilge. I have tried dish detergent, and other cleaners. Does the Zep get rid of oil. I use simple green for everything but have not tried it due to it being corrosive and I want to soak to the floor boards and don’t want to damage any transducers or through hulls.
Dish detergent and a toilet brush works for areas you can reach but the 29 has the keel sump that is behind the access panel and about three feet deep.

Howard Keiper

I assume that the source of odor would be removed as best as can be, but there are always lingering odors. Mildew is a good source that Ozone can and does deal with very effectively. And yes, I know that Ozone is fairly reactive.. and I certainly didn't mean to imply that the generator should be left on for days on end..a couple of hours is sufficient to do the job without risk of all the rubber disintegrating.
howard

chaco

Member III
Orange Cleaner has removed ALL traces of Diesel Fuel from the Bilge.
Works well on getting rid of Sinky Bacteria too :D
Flush the Bilge with as much FRESH WATER as she can hold while adding
1/2 gallon of Cleaner. Take her out for a good WASHING MACHINE run :nerd:
Flush her out while MOVING. Would not hurt to flush again with FRESH WATER

Good Luck :egrin: :egrin:

paul culver

Member III
Question

"Take her out for a good WASHING MACHINE run
Flush her out while MOVING"

Just wondering -- is this legal? Or do you need to call a mobile pump out service?

Paul

wanderer

Member II
Dan what is the orange cleaner you mentioned? Where is it available?

you can get ZEP products at any home improvement store. Home Depot, Lowes etc.

It's natural so it's biodegradable as far as i know.

I've used Castrol Super clean for a lot of motor work on my muscle cars/bikes but that stuff is VERY caustic. Most places don't sell it anymore and have switched to a slightly milder more earth friendly purple type cleaner.
I've used both ZEP products and purple cleaners with great success cleaning stuff on the boat

i do like the "washing machine run" idea. way less work!

:egrin:

valentor

Member II
My 1978 E-34 had an odor that would have to improve to be terrible.

Scrubbing, washing, and ultimately hosing the entire interior down had little effect. Finally one day I noticed that the waste hose leading from the head to the tank was very sticky on the outside. I suspect it was decomposing. Further, I noticed that it had several high points and low points in it's path to the holding tank.

Disgusted by the prospects of what might be trapped in there for twenty years, I carefully removed all the hose and replaced it with standard PVC water pipe from the hardware store. I bufferred the connections to the head and tank with a foot of very expensive smooth black waste hose at each end of the system. Also, the output of the head pump now goes directly to a high point, then the rest of the system progresses downward to the holding tank.

The result was amazing! That particular odor was completely eliminated.

Finally, I can again savor the smells the bilge, ice box, and engine pan.

-Steve

chaco

Member III
PVC Pipe for Marine use ? Saltwater degrades PVC and it is not considered
strong enough for boat vibrations. IMHO use Marine Grade Waste Hose.
The fittings need to be bronze / nylon / marelon :nerd:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
PVC Pipe

According to the Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association "PVC materials are resistant to many ordinary chemicals such as acids, bases, salts and oxidants".

PVC pipe should be OK as long as it is isolated from vibration.

HGSail

Member III
I work in the Broadcast industry and Ozone genarators are not alowed in any broadcast facillities because it destroys the rubber in the tape machines. If you use one in your home you might notice that the rubber matting under your carpet will detieriate as will the rubber seals around windows.

My 2cents

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Howard Keiper

I don't propose that you operate one continuously...maybe an hour or so every month or every other month. The problem, and it IS a problem,is if you make a habit of being around an operating generator for a fair length of time. Ozone WILL irritate the mucus linings of your plumbing...but it doesn't happen unless you make it happen.

Did you ever wonder how hotels convert certain of their former smoking rooms to non...besides the sign that says so?

Rubber degradation, a real problem to be sure...over time, is not the potential disaster it's made out to be.

howard